reset password
EASATRYAN
Posted 15:12 Sep 02, 2017 |

Hey guys, my name is Edmond, I need some help. I downloaded mysql server and workbench ONLY, and when i open command prompt, I don't see sql written anywhere, when i follow the instructions:

First you will need to run MySQL in either a terminal (for Mac users), command line (for Windows users), or use MySQL workbench. mysql -u USERNAME -p"

Then I get this message:

C:\Users\Sevak Asatryan>mysql -u USERNAME -p;
'mysql' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Please Help I think I'm not on SQL Server. I've attached a Print Screen.

Attachments:
agomez202
Posted 15:28 Sep 02, 2017 |

Is it installed right? Have you tired to see where you installed sql? Check the windows file system and see if the mysql command is executable. I recommend you running Linux or freebsd. It will make life a lot easier.

EASATRYAN
Posted 15:35 Sep 02, 2017 |

I've attached the opened folder where MySQL is installed. I'm not sure where to check if its executable. When you say "I recommend you running Linux or freebsd" are you referring to this "

Sometimes, you may need to connect a remote MySQL database server. If this is the case, you may find yourself having a linux terminal to be helpful.

In windows, I suggest you to have a git shell -- https://git-for-windows.github.io/

"

Attachments:
kcrespi
Posted 15:46 Sep 02, 2017 |

If you continue having problems PuTTY is another option to run MySQL.

http://www.putty.org/

You just simply download it, run it, type the server information, and will run an independent command prompt.

toramoss
Posted 15:46 Sep 02, 2017 |

If you do have MySQL Server installed correctly but you are seeing the "mysql is not recognized..." error, then you will need to add your mysql executable to your PATH.

To do this, navigate to your MySQL Server 5.7 folder. I've included a screenshot of where mine is located on my Windows machine. You will need to copy the location of the bin folder in your MySQL Server 5.7 folder.

After this, if you press your Windows key and search for "environment" you should see "Edit the system environment variables" (See screenshot).

Select this option and it will bring you to the system properties window. On this window, press the "Environment Variables" button to get to the Environment Variables window.

From here, select the "Path" variable and press the edit button. Paste the path to your MySQL server executable to add it to the path and save. (See screenshots)

If you do have MySQL installed, and did the above correctly, you should be able to open up a new command prompt and you should be able to log onto your MySQL server.

Attachments:
EASATRYAN
Posted 16:16 Sep 02, 2017 |

Please see attached a Print Screen of my Program Files and Program Files (x86). Please also see Print Screens of the steps I took to Install. It looks like MySQL is not installed. If you look at the Print Screens you can see that the version of SQL is different, and I got different prompts then whats on the instructions. Thank you so much for the help. Greatly appreciate it.

toramoss
Posted 16:22 Sep 02, 2017 |

Some students were having trouble with the 5.7 installer. These computers didn't have the required Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 runtime in order to install MySQL. A workaround that we found is to download and use the 5.6 installer version. 

Navigate to https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/installer/ and press the "Looking for previous GA versions?" link. This should allow you to download the installer for version 5.6.37.

EASATRYAN
Posted 16:24 Sep 02, 2017 |

Let me try thank you.

EASATRYAN
Posted 16:55 Sep 02, 2017 |

Please see Print Screen Attached.

Attachments:
toramoss
Posted 17:37 Sep 02, 2017 |

It looks like you are still not meeting the Visual Studio C++ runtime requirement. Go to this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 and download the 2010 C++ runtime. After that is finished installing, rerun the Mysql installer once again. This time it should install MySQL server onto your computer.