reset password
wcwir
Posted 13:52 Aug 25, 2018 |

Some of you already have the 3rd edition of the textbook, whereas I'm working from the newest edition. I compared the TOCs of the two books, and here are the relevant differences:

Chapter 2

In 4th edition, there tutorial on how to use an editor to work with HTML and CSS files is for Brackes, while in 3rd edition it is for Aptana. If you have 3rd edition but prefer to use Brackets, you can easily find an online tutorial. We will also go over it in next class.

Chapter 6

In the 4th edition, the last subsection is titled "A sidebar that uses positioning"; in the 3rd it is "A table of contents that uses positioning" instead. In my (4th ed.) copy, this subsection has just two pages, and I already made a note in the slides for Chapter 6 to remind me to covered this part in detail for those of you who are working from the 3rd edition. 

Chapter 7

Although the 3rd edition does not mention navigation menus in the chapter title, it seems these are covered to the same extent as in the 4th edition.

Chapter 8

The 3rd edition lacks the subsection "How to use other units of measure with responsive design." I made a note of it on the slides for this chapter.

Beyond Section 1, the sections and chapters are numbered differently.

In 4th edition, Section 2 has two chapters on page layout that are not present in 3rd edition. We will cover one of those chapters, and you'll have slides to study from.

4th ed Chapter 11 = 3rd ed Chapter 9. (Images)

4th ed Chapter 12 = 3rd ed Chapter 10 (Tables)

4th ed Chapter 13 = 3rd ed Chapter 11 (Forms)

4th ed Chapter 14 = 3rd ed Chapter 12 (Audio and Video)

4th ed Chapter 17 = 3rd ed Chapter 18 (Website design)

3rd ed does not have sections on Bootstrap or GitHub -- that's OK, there are lots of materials on these elsewhere.

That about covers the differences as far as we are concerned in this course.

I am attaching the TOC for 4th edition for your reference.

Attachments: