reset password
ifiguer
Posted 20:09 Mar 03, 2018 |

I've been thinking about the weight of the two selection questions.  To me it seems a bit unfair to have a question that weighs more and not have partial credit for them. If they are counted as two questions then why not give credit for the one selection you got right? We are giving up four points for one question that has two parts. If we get both selections right we get full amount of points, but if we only get one selection right correct we lose all amount of points. It's like getting two questions wrong for only answering one right. It leaves me feeling duped, but I understand that the test is designed this way. 

ifiguer
Posted 20:27 Mar 03, 2018 |

Also, 30 minutes for 40 questions may seem like enough for those who have the capability to understand a string of words at first glance, but what about those who require more effort to understand the question? Usually a minute is a reasonable amount of time for a question. Anything less causes a stressful environment. I, myself, tend to second my choices, which leads to choosing without reason. Still, I know I should have performed better. 

mschlei
Posted 21:37 Mar 03, 2018 |

I agree on the time constraints. At the 15min warning I had only finished 17 questions, at the 5 min warning I had like 10 (dont know the exact count because after the 15min warning I swapped to the last question and worked up due to how far behind I was in time) more completely blank question i had not even answered yet. When the test was opened again for 5 mins i found 1 or 2 question I had completely missed (did not even select an answer in time).

Granted, this material I did not have fully memorized (took for granted it was open notes), but generally I have pretty good test taking skills and usually do have enough time to comfortably review my answers before time is up. So I think for an open notes midterm the questions were pretty fair, but the time limit was a little harsh, a lot of the questions towards the end I didn't even get to think through completely and just got lucky on a lot of them, and all the questions I missed were in the set of questions I rushed through towards the end.

I also feel having to keep taking breaks to save your progress (to avoid technical problems we saw at the end) just added an extra layer of stress. Towards the end of the exam I was more worried of saving compared to checking answers if it was a paper exam.I feel really bad for the people that did not save often and lost their progress at the end when the server timed out. (For those that don't know, if you try to submit and it errors on you, it displays an error message and you can't go back to your answers/progress, not even the back button works.)

Last edited by mschlei at 21:51 Mar 03, 2018.
dgonz
Posted 23:23 Mar 03, 2018 |

Seems like partial credit was given for questions with 2 answers. I'm seeing -4 and -2 on my grading.

I agree that the time constraint was a bit excessive. It averages(at least for me) 15 seconds to carefully read the questions and available choices(timed myself reading the questions on the quizzes). So we have about 30 seconds to answer each question on a test that is 25% of our grade? Take it easy! cheeky To be fair, the questions were pretty straight forward. I just wish I had a little more time to answer them.

I'm just curious to see how everyone else did though. That way I can at least find comfort in knowing I wasn't the only one who struggled with the exam. (Where them Plato Dollars at?laugh)

juan062494
Posted 03:08 Mar 04, 2018 |

I resonate with this thread's author's thoughts on a spiritual level.

Andy Echeverria
Posted 19:56 Mar 04, 2018 |

I agree. Time was very limited and on top of that, csns was having problems. I had to go back and save my work multiple times and every time I did, it would take a while for the page to reload. It was very hard to answer each question with very limited time.