reset password
eykang
Posted 20:34 Feb 23, 2018 |

Computer Science New Faculty Candidate Presentations

The Department of Computer Science's new faculty candidates will present their research work. All are welcome. Come and meet them.

Navid Amini, PhD

Research Scientist, UCLA Center for Smart Health

Tuesday, 2/27/2018, 1:40PM-2:40PM

E&T A309

Title: The Emergence of Mobile Intelligence: An Unsupervised Learning Approach to Context Detection in IoT Applications

Summary: The convergence of powerful computing units, ubiquitous network access, and advanced sensing technologies has enabled numerous Internet of Things (IoT) applications that process high-dimensional, multi-modal streams of data to learn patterns, correlations and predictive models. To function properly and to minimize user distraction, these applications must determine a variety of context attributes of a user’s activities and his/her surrounding environment. In this seminar, I will present a hierarchical learning algorithm to detect contextual information such as user activities for mobile IoT devices. This learning occurs online and does not require external supervision. I will describe contemporary applications in augmented reality, human-computer interaction, and mobile health monitoring that could benefit from the proposed context detection algorithm in order to adapt to their physical environment as well as to available computational and energy resources.

David Claveau, PhD

Assistant Professor, Computer Science, California State University Channel Islands

Wednesday, 2/28/2018, 3PM-4PM

Title: Robots for People

Summary: Robots are now in our homes cleaning the floors and will soon be on our roads driving us to work. Soon we will interact with robots every day. Designing and building these social robots is a multidisciplinary effort that brings together computer scientists, engineers, psychologists, artists and  many others. It is also an effort that is much more accessible to researchers and students because of the availability of high-performance components at low costs. This allows for more rapid experimentation with complete robots in real-world settings. In this talk I survey several of my research projects that highlight this approach to robotics and point to some future efforts.

George Corser, PhD

Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Information Systems, Saginaw Valley State University

Tuesday, 3/6/2018, 2PM-3PM

E&T A220

Title: Location privacy in autonomous cars

Summary: Autonomous cars may one day prevent injuries and reduce transportation costs by enabling new safety and traffic management applications, but automotive networks raise privacy concerns because they could enable applications to perform unwanted surveillance. This presentation examines current research in location privacy threats to future motorists who would use network-connected cars. 

Scott Bishop, PhD

Founder and CEO, Pixels and Co., Venice, CA

Wednesday, 3/7/2018, 3PM-4PM

E&T A126

Title: Making and Placing 3D Models in 3D Scenes

Summary: 3D computer graphics and computer vision are the foundations of augmented and mixed reality applications and the combination of techniques gives us the ability to place virtual objects in 3D space allowing users to experience digital realities, in reality. In this talk, I will present my research on a data based 3D industrial facility modeling system that contains domain specific information used to assemble, layout and place a facility model into a 3D scene. Furthermore, I will discuss my work on a real-time S3D video system that uses computer vision techniques to estimate the horizontal-offset between two images. The methods from both computer graphics and computer vision provide the basis for digital pipelines that can be used to create augmented effects in research, industry, and consumer applications.

Last edited by eykang at 16:13 Mar 01, 2018.