reset password
chrisramirez
Posted 11:58 Aug 24, 2016 |

CSULA offers Lynda.com to all of the students. They basically offer video tutorials on how to learn new programming languages. Visit the website, click sign in, and look for "sign in with organization portal." You should be able to login with your CSULA username and password. Enjoy! 

nbraga
Posted 15:37 Aug 24, 2016 |

Sounds pretty easy, thanks for the pointer!

DoctorJordi
Posted 00:54 Aug 25, 2016 |

Codecademy also helps a lot with coding, it's free but there are some paid features. All you need to do is register.

acampo70
Posted 10:37 Aug 25, 2016 |

Cool, thanks for sharing it with us I will make sure to look into it.

jolpoc2319
Posted 14:29 Aug 25, 2016 |

Thanks for the advise!

dsan2
Posted 07:47 Aug 26, 2016 |

For the Lynda videos, how different would they be compared to swift videos in terms of HOW they teach the content?

aagallo13
Posted 08:43 Aug 26, 2016 |

Would the Lydia videos be helpful for only first year students getting into computer science or is it helpful throughout the whole program?

SevenSeven
Posted 09:57 Aug 26, 2016 |
DoctorJordi wrote:

Codecademy also helps a lot with coding, it's free but there are some paid features. All you need to do is register.

Would there be a major difference in terms of content if one person used free access, but another paid for access?

nbraga
Posted 15:04 Aug 26, 2016 |

@SEVENSEVEN:

At first, I thought that cal state la students can only access content that pertains to the students' respective majors (i.e. computer science, civil engineering, electrical, etc.), but after taking a quick look around, I found some courses involving graphic design (3D, 2D, etc.), marketing, and general tutorials for certain program suites (like adobe and whatnot). This is all pretty handy - though I don't know how I could find the time to learn a fraction of the subject material in the Lynda library! 

bprerak
Posted 19:35 Aug 27, 2016 |

Are we required to complete any specific Computer Science Course to get an internship?

nbraga
Posted 21:07 Aug 27, 2016 |
bprerak wrote:

Are we required to complete any specific Computer Science Course to get an internship?

The shortest answer I could give is: it depends on where you're applying and what you're doing! Most internships have a list of mandatory requirements (as well as a list of "preferred" requirements), though I wouldn't expect the average company to have a requirement like an online course, but there might be some cases around. 

One thing I would like to mention is that just having taken a course might not be enough in some cases. What I see as the purpose of sites like Lynda, Coursera, or Khanacademy is for you to apply what you learned to real-world applications. Having experience with the type of practice you are learning would probably look much better (say, on a resume?) than simply having watched some videos or done some assignments; plus: it makes you feel more prepared. Then again, there are tons of resources on learning anything ( gotta thank Google and Youtube! ), which you could then use to work on your own projects - thus hinting to the company that you are genuinely interested in the type of work that relates to the position. 

If you're wondering about university courses and not online courses, then it's a different story. The courses at cal state la have more weight than an online course because the courses are included in degree-programs and, for most of the courses, students gain hands-on experience on course material. In this case, if the course holds relevance with the internship position, then you improve your chances of getting the position. Suppose you wanted to apply for an internship as a software developer at IBM. If you passed some courses involving data structures and networking - to name a few - and you've proven your skills with group projects (or maybe even club projects), then you'll turn out a good candidate because those courses prove that your skills and abilities can grow into the position they require because you indicated that you have credible experience. 

Anyway, that's my two cents. I hope I answered your question thoroughly and informatively! 

lrami116
Posted 17:55 Aug 28, 2016 |

Does anyone know what other programming languages will be useful to know after learning the basic ones?

mruizbr
Posted 20:18 Aug 28, 2016 |

As time progresses and program languages change, would the language change as a whole or would it pertain to the last language, but contain new information? c went to c+ and then to c++. All come from the same foundation, does it not? So can the whole foundation change? Just a wonder of mines. 

nbraga
Posted 20:20 Aug 28, 2016 |
lrami116 wrote:

Does anyone know what other programming languages will be useful to know after learning the basic ones?

Here is a linear language-learning track for basic web development: 

• If you're comfortable with html, learn css and develop some more stylized web pages! 
  • If you're comfortable with css, learn javascript and develop some more stylized, interactive web pages! 
  • If you're comfortable with javascript, learn PHP or other SDN (software-defined networking) language(s) to build the online infrastructure behind your stylized, interactive web page!

Here is a linear language-learning track for basic application software development:

• If you're comfortable with javascript, learn java!
  • If you're comfortable with java, learn C# (pronounced "see-sharp")!
  • If you're comfortable with C#, learn C or C++!

You don't need to learn the languages in this specific order; this is simply one approach to language among many. Also, there are many other languages that I haven't mentioned yet, such as lua (and luascript) and ruby (and ruby on rails).

You'll find that many programming languages are built off of previously existing ones and there is a reason for this. The lowest of low-level programming languages (in terms of the simplicity of the language for computer hardware to read without more compiling) is the binary (1's and 0's) language Because writing and rewriting the same code over and over again is a long and tedious process, people create new meaning out of a combination of previously defined code to make programming a faster process. This is called abstraction, and it is very much like creating a new word with previously defined words. 

Suppose I wanted to describe something with a long and convoluted meaning, like the sound made by biting and chewing Hawaiian pizza. If I feel the need to give other people an idea of what I mean, I can say that the sound sounds like a rotten fruit is being mashed in a leather bag filled with rocks - which is a long and impractical definition - or I can create a word like "globberclunf". This word may have no initial meaning, after first describing it to you, you will understand what it means the next time I say "globberclunf". The idea is that abstractions are made of lower-level programming languages to make higher-level programming languages (which the computer converts back into low-level language to interpret) in a similar way that we can use unique, yet commonly-know words to create more unique words with entirely unique meanings and purposes. 

This quality of programming languages allows people to create interesting and useful software - like word processors, games, search engines, and many, many more - and I hope it helps you better understand how a computer reads code. 

Now, back to the original question: you can learn any language you want, and I recommend that you learn as many as you wish! The thing is that each programming language has its own edge and is capable of least something great that another language may not be able to do so well. There are so many languages to try out, each one with a different winding road to mastery. Some of them are very similar with a wide variety of tools for creation, while others are very specialized. HTML is specialized in that it is used to develop web pages, and python is generally considered to have many different applications. You can use both of them to develop a creative, unique web application, or a well-structured piece of software, or something entirely different from anything done before! It's all in the developer's imagination and effort when it comes to programming! 

nbraga
Posted 22:51 Aug 28, 2016 |
mruizbr wrote:

As time progresses and program languages change, would the language change as a whole or would it pertain to the last language, but contain new information? c went to c+ and then to c++. All come from the same foundation, does it not? So can the whole foundation change? Just a wonder of mines. 

DISCLAIMER: Due to the advanced level of the subject matter, I can only respond with the best of my knowledge of programming languages, programming language architecture, compilers, abstraction, and historical footnotes of software engineering. Take my word as my personal understanding rather than the definitive answer to your explanation. 

A programming language most commonly develops in the following ways:

1. through engineers who make abstractions from low-level languages to be added as supplement to the core libraries of a programming language (or certain bugs are fixed via inspection and debugging of the low-level language used to make the higher language)
  2. through development of new libraries by programmers who use the language to develop software

The C and C++ languages (there is no C+ I've heard of) are a special case because they can be considered to sit on the same level of programming languages; they were both made with the intent of introducing object-orientation (among other features). Since the languages were originally written during a time when most programming was done with low-level languages, they were written in low-level languages like machine code and binary. C and C++ were created from low-level languages like binary, machine language, and/or assembly through abstraction (read my reply to LRAMI116) because most programming at the time was done with low-level languages, which were pretty much all there was if you wanted to develop computer software. 

Both languages were created using low-level languages. They have similar architecture and can conditionally coincide in a single program's source code, but this does not necessarily mean that C++ is a direct extension of C. As the first way (in the above list) describes, engineers can supplement the core of languages like C or C++ by updating the code used to write the languages. In this case, the only change was an addition to the language, which does not affect any respective high-level languages. 

If you are asking whether a change in the respective low-level language affects a language it was used to create, if the change is an addition that does not violate any language syntax, there may be little or no change because the respective high-level language had already been development. Do understand that the software development process includes testing. If engineers add to a language, then they ensure its proper functionality before making its use official (i.e. releasing an update). 

The saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" may apply to this situation in that if the foundation of programming architectures functions as intended (which it appears to be doing), then it needs no changes. Also, in my mind, it makes more sense to use abstraction to make a new language rather than make any huge changes to any fully-developed language, spending tons and tons of resources just trying to reinvent the wheel, and I don't know of any successful projects of this kind. 

Your question is remarkably interesting and I'll see to it that I do more research to comprehensively answer the question for myself, because I don't think my explanation was adequate (nor organized), but I do hope I can assist in your wondering with the limited understanding I have. 

apathan
Posted 08:04 Aug 29, 2016 |

I've been using a ton of Khan Academy, Codeacademy, and Codenvy.

Codenvy is really nice because it saves your work on the cloud, where you can access at anytime anywhere. It's similar to Eclipse but also offers a cloud for easy access to your work.  

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

Last edited by apathan at 08:05 Aug 29, 2016.