reset password
Gayaneh
Posted 20:21 Jun 01, 2016 |

Hi Professor,

I attended today's class online and I have question about Chinese Wall Rule for Read and Write as I am a bit confused on how these rules work

If I understood this right, Subject S can read a company C' data only in two circumstances:

- If he has already accessed C' data

- He has NOT accessed the competitor's data

For example: and in slide 43, if S reads from Bank A, he cannot read from Bank B. or if he read for School 1 he cannot read from School 2...

For write rule:

S can write to O only if S can read O and all objects that S can read are in the same dataset as O. Does this mean that if S wants to write to Bank A, he shall not be accessing any other banks/schools prior to that?

As the slide notes:  Subject S is allowed to read from at most one company dataset inany  CI

To my understanding if S wants to write to Bank A he shouldn't have any prior access to School 1. The example in slide 44 actually wants to show what will happen if S reads from Bank 1 and writes to school 1; then S' may find out information about school 1 and Bank B (conflicts of interest).

As in the same slide there is a note: This is intended to prevent an indirect flow of information that would cause a conflict of interests.

Can you please clarify?

Many Thanks,

Gayaneh Petrossian

Last edited by Gayaneh at 08:39 Jun 04, 2016.
Gayaneh
Posted 08:43 Jun 04, 2016 |
Any comments from anyone?

Dr. Guo, can you please reply to my questions?
                Your help will be highly appreciated!

Regards,
                Gayaneh

Gayaneh wrote:

Hi Professor,

I attended today's class online and I have question about Chinese Wall Rule for Read and Write as I am a bit confused on how these rules work

If I understood this right, Subject S can read a company C' data only in two circumstances:

- If he has already accessed C' data

- He has NOT accessed the competitor's data

For example: and in slide 43, if S reads from Bank A, he cannot read from Bank B. or if he read for School 1 he cannot read from School 2...

For write rule:

S can write to O only if S can read O and all objects that S can read are in the same dataset as O. Does this mean that if S wants to write to Bank A, he shall not be accessing any other banks/schools prior to that?

As the slide notes:  Subject S is allowed to read from at most one company dataset inany  CI

To my understanding if S wants to write to Bank A he shouldn't have any prior access to School 1. The example in slide 44 actually wants to show what will happen if S reads from Bank 1 and writes to school 1; then S' may find out information about school 1 and Bank B (conflicts of interest).

As in the same slide there is a note: This is intended to prevent an indirect flow of information that would cause a conflict of interests.

Can you please clarify?

Many Thanks,

Gayaneh Petrossian

Last edited by Gayaneh at 08:45 Jun 04, 2016.
hpguo
Posted 11:56 Jun 06, 2016 |

Sorry for this late reply! I was out of town and just came back yesterday.

Your understanding of both rules is correct.

This example on slide 44 is actually a counter example. It shows that if we allow this to happen, we may violate the write rule. So, if S reads from bank 1, he/she CANNOT write to school 1.

Dr. Guo