reset password
mnava18
Posted 23:51 Apr 14, 2016 |

hello , im having some problems with understanding the FD stuff. the way i see i understand it. is like in our homework example . for faculty and office_hours . since sun has 4 names on that table , each one of those names has to map to the same value right? so since it doesnt (you get 2 different values for office_hours). this is not a FD correct? im trying to wrap my head around this and understand whats goin on and thats what i think is goin on.

mnava18
Posted 17:52 Apr 15, 2016 |

anyone? i think i posted this to late last night lol

cysun
Posted 10:43 Apr 16, 2016 |
mnava18 wrote:

hello , im having some problems with understanding the FD stuff. the way i see i understand it. is like in our homework example . for faculty and office_hours . since sun has 4 names on that table , each one of those names has to map to the same value right? so since it doesnt (you get 2 different values for office_hours). this is not a FD correct? im trying to wrap my head around this and understand whats goin on and thats what i think is goin on.

That is correct. But also remember that FD is an assertion on all possible data, not just existing data in the table - in other words, even if all the current records show the same faculty having the same office hours, it may still not be a FD.