reset password
jyoung18
Posted 12:16 Nov 25, 2015 |

Hey everyone, starting next Tuesday, December first I will be showing up to campus only to certify your labs. In the interest of time I would like to set up a schedule of people that will be meeting me in the office at A215 so people don't have to wait. Please let me know if there is any interest in this.

There's a few things to consider:

1. The code must fit the code guidelines, I can't certify any labs that don't follow them.

2. Please show up on time and ready to demo and explain your code.

3. I will have a few questions to ask you about the class so please make the time.

- Jon

ssun0507
Posted 12:45 Nov 25, 2015 |

Can I schedule your time from 1pm - 2:30pm On Thursday next week?

Last edited by ssun0507 at 12:45 Nov 25, 2015.
hippiewho
Posted 13:08 Nov 25, 2015 |

How do we schedule meetings with you? Also can I take Dec 1 at 1:00pm?

vsluong4
Posted 13:28 Nov 25, 2015 |

I call Wed 12/2 1:30 - 5:30

That should be enough to certify all of the labs

jyoung18
Posted 13:33 Nov 25, 2015 |

Tuesday at 1:00 pm I will be in class there taking down names for students that want to get their labs certified.

I will also be there certifying labs until people stop showing up.

Echoofdeath
Posted 11:59 Nov 30, 2015 |

May I schedule an appointment for Thursday at 4:30pm  or  Friday at 3pm?

mamrti90
Posted 16:21 Nov 30, 2015 |

Jon, what times do you have available?

jasonmz
Posted 06:10 Dec 01, 2015 |

What times are available for thursday or friday?

gjmiles
Posted 17:34 Dec 01, 2015 |

I would like to schedule some time for Wednesday.

jyoung18
Posted 18:42 Dec 01, 2015 |

Wednesday 12/2 I will be here from 11:40 AM - 1:20 PM

Thursday 12/3 I will be here from 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM

Room A215. Please make sure you follow the code guidelines and read all directions for the labs before seeing me.

As for other times we'll see how much demand is left after Thursday.

layla08
Posted 15:30 Dec 03, 2015 |

Hi Jon,

The line was huge to see you (I tried Tuesday but had to leave at 5 to attend another class, and today there were 8 people ahead of me). I was wondering if you decided to come in for certifications tomorrow?

Thanks!

jyoung18
Posted 16:38 Dec 03, 2015 |

Unfortunately I don't really have time until possibly Monday. I have finals and projects as well as deadlines come crashing in. We'll see if I can show up to certify more labs again, but no promises. I'll post if I get more time.

- Jon

layla08
Posted 16:41 Dec 03, 2015 |

Hi Jon, Completely understand :) I think we're all in that position as well. Thanks!

evik89
Posted 16:55 Dec 03, 2015 |

so mondays possibility is higher?

rabbott
Posted 22:44 Dec 03, 2015 |

Labs certified after Sunday will not receive full credit. This work should have been done long ago. 

Also labs that use set! and labs that fail to use map and foldl in places where they are the best choice will not get full credit.

Last edited by rabbott at 22:48 Dec 03, 2015.
darkserith
Posted 23:00 Dec 03, 2015 |
rabbott wrote:

Labs certified after Sunday will not receive full credit. This work should have been done long ago. 

Also labs that use set! and labs that fail to use map and foldl in places where they are the best choice will not get full credit.

What about Lab 4? During completion of that lab, we had not yet learned map/foldl. It was when we learned to do Abstraction in Week 5 that we did, which of course means you should use map/foldl for every lab then on right? Or wrong?

layla08
Posted 23:23 Dec 03, 2015 |
darkserith wrote:
rabbott wrote:

What about Lab 4? During completion of that lab, we had not yet learned map/foldl. It was when we learned to do Abstraction in Week 5 that we did, which of course means you should use map/foldl for every lab then on right? Or wrong?

Think you meant Week 6/Lab 6, @darkserith.  That's when we learned foldl and map :) 

Also, I'm sure Dr. Abbott meant to apply them from the time that we learned about them & onward. It wouldn't make sense to have to go back to Lab 4 for instance (I didn't even know how to use struct-copy at that point) and implement all the tricks we now know. 

rabbott
Posted 23:41 Dec 03, 2015 |

Right. Lab 6 and higher should use map and fold appropriately.

evik89
Posted 00:08 Dec 04, 2015 |

How about usage of set! In lab 1-3?

rabbott
Posted 18:09 Dec 04, 2015 |
evik89 wrote:

There are two answers to that. One answer is that if your labs 1-3 are already certified, but they use set!, you are not required to revise them.

The more important answer is that since you know that set! is not good functional programming, you should not use it in labs 1-3. You should not even ask about using it in labs 1-3. Asking suggests that you want to avoid using good functional programming style. Why would you want to do that? This is a class in functional programming. Why would you want to do what the class teaches you not to do? Why even ask whether it's ok to do something you have learned violates the principles the class teaches?

When I hear a question like that it leads me to think that the person asking the question is looking for a way to avoid doing the assignment the correct way because it seems easier to do it some other way. I find that very distasteful. Would you want your doctor to think like that, to ask whether it's ok to take a shortcut that is known to be bad medicine just because he thinks he can get away with it?

Last edited by rabbott at 18:16 Dec 04, 2015.
khuynh10
Posted 15:23 Dec 05, 2015 |

Just making sure, if we already got certified labs 1-3 before your message was posted, we do not need to revise? I recently got lab 1 & 3 cert on Monday. 

rabbott
Posted 17:56 Dec 05, 2015 |

Again, two answers.

1. I don't expect to look at any Lab 1-3 submissions.

2. In thinking about my previous answer I asked myself what bothered me so much (besides what I already wrote) about attempts to complete work at the last minute. The answer I think is that it suggests to me a lack of respect for the subject matter of the course. Not working on the material during the term and then trying to get by though some shortcut at the end says two things to me. (1) You don't think the material in the course is worth your time. (2) It's such trivial and useless material that it's possible to fool the instructor into believing that you understand it by playing some simple tricks. That's a very disrespectful attitude.

Most instructors work hard to find the material they think is most important to teach. We may be wrong at times, but for the most part instructors do their best when deciding what's important enough to ask students to spend time on -- and for them to spend time deciding how to teach. To blow that off by not coming to class, by not doing the work, by looking for ways to cheat in order to get by without dealing with the material is really quite insulting. 

Imagine that you gave someone an expensive painting as a gift. And suppose that person took the painting, ripped it off the frame and used the canvas as a tarp to catch oil drips when you changed the oil in your car. That would be insulting to you as the gift-giver, and it would be disrespectful of the painting, which, let's assume, was a significant piece of art. It's not quite that extreme, but that's the sort of thing you do when you treat the material in a class as junk. So even if you don't think a gift that is given to you is as beautiful as the person giving it does, at least treat it with respect when that person is around.

evik89
Posted 21:25 Dec 05, 2015 |
rabbott wrote:
evik89 wrote:

There are two answers to that. One answer is that if your labs 1-3 are already certified, but they use set!, you are not required to revise them.

The more important answer is that since you know that set! is not good functional programming, you should not use it in labs 1-3. You should not even ask about using it in labs 1-3. Asking suggests that you want to avoid using good functional programming style. Why would you want to do that? This is a class in functional programming. Why would you want to do what the class teaches you not to do? Why even ask whether it's ok to do something you have learned violates the principles the class teaches?

When I hear a question like that it leads me to think that the person asking the question is looking for a way to avoid doing the assignment the correct way because it seems easier to do it some other way. I find that very distasteful. Would you want your doctor to think like that, to ask whether it's ok to take a shortcut that is known to be bad medicine just because he thinks he can get away with it?

Dear Prof. Abbot.

The reason i asked the question was because i certified the labs 1-3 almost 3 weeks before you post the massage into the forum. So the question arised into my mind that should I or not change the code i certified or not because we used set! In those assignments. Otherwise i didn't look for a shortcut or an easy way to do the assignment after the massage has been posted. Sorry if my question looked like that.  

rabbott
Posted 22:14 Dec 05, 2015 |

OK. In fact, if you look at my post about set! in labs 1-3 I say that it's not feasible to eliminate it as the lab is structured.