reset password
ryan0209
Posted 11:51 Nov 03, 2015 |
Place holder for DD dicussion
dthomas5
Posted 12:52 Nov 03, 2015 |

Hello DD Team!

A GitHub repository was setup for your team https://github.com/2015-CS454/dd-team. If you have any issues or question, please contact the IT Team and we will be able to help you

Cheers!

dguhath
Posted 14:06 Nov 03, 2015 |

Hello Everyone,

We have made 2 sub teams (horizontal split. Please note we might need to make vertical splits at some point). They are:

1. Team A

• Server
  • DB
  • Protocol
  • Test
  • IT

2. Team B

• Design
  • Art
  • Client

We need 1 Team lead from each of these teams. Please let me know who would like to represent the individual teams.

Thanks.

dguhath
Posted 14:10 Nov 03, 2015 |

Hello Protocol Team,

Here is what we have for now:

• register
  • auth
  • Create Character
  • position data/report key press(for handling animation)
  • power up collected
  • disconnection
  • report dead
  • report leaders
  • report speed

@Everyone please feel free to add to this list.

@Protocol team, please revert to us in case you want to discuss any of these.

dguhath
Posted 14:11 Nov 03, 2015 |

Some Info about Car:

• type of car
  • health
  • armour - rating, weight
  • speed booster - time limited, percentage increase, 1 time use
  • shield - invincible, time limited

@Design team - Do we have a limit on the number of powerup pickups. Could you please explain those?

ryan0209
Posted 16:22 Nov 03, 2015 |

for the position/key press and speed, we should combine them into 1 packet. that packet should send the position(x, y, z) and velocity(x, y, z). that is what people recommend the last time i searched. we don't really need the key press in the packet.

we can use velocity to change the animation and check for collisions.

i don't get the 'report leaders' thing, would you mind explain more on that?

dguhath
Posted 18:58 Nov 03, 2015 |
ryan0209 wrote:

for the position/key press and speed, we should combine them into 1 packet. that packet should send the position(x, y, z) and velocity(x, y, z). that is what people recommend the last time i searched. we don't really need the key press in the packet.

we can use velocity to change the animation and check for collisions.

i don't get the 'report leaders' thing, would you mind explain more on that?

'report leaders'

It's a dashboard we can display on the client screen with the name of say the top 3 players, so that everyone knows who to target.

For the protocol, We can surely discuss on that. Do you or anyone you know have a working copy with a single protocol to display a seamless movement in all clients. If you can share that, I believe we can salvage a lot from it.

Currently, we have 2 different protocols working in sync to create an exact replica of the movement. Me and my team made it as part of HW2. Please have a look at it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xiazkrtqm3pgxl6/FOR_SUBMISSION.zip?dl=0

Dr. Kang mentioned in class that when a move is made the actual move is not sanctioned. The client just forwards a request to the server which in turn approves the request and a movement is created in all the clients after receiving the approval. We will probably try to stick to something like that. So apart from the xyz, hpr we also need another protocol to sync the location of the cars. 

hjose
Posted 18:35 Nov 04, 2015 |
dguhath wrote:

Hello Protocol Team,

Here is what we have for now:

• register
  • auth
  • Create Character
  • position data/report key press(for handling animation)
  • power up collected
  • disconnection
  • report dead
  • report leaders
  • report speed

@Everyone please feel free to add to this list.

@Protocol team, please revert to us in case you want to discuss any of these.

Hello,

The following protocols will be common

• register
  • auth
  • logout

And about the Create Character, we have to clarify with the Lobby Team. As of now we can include this in our part.

And position data/report key pressit is similar to move request right?, which can be same for the RR Team.Confirm whether can we define our own protocol or can we make it as common.

And also, how we initiate different power ups, whether we have separate protocol or it will handle with position data/report key press.  And can you clarify with the parameters. 

And the rest will be our own protocols.

• power up collected
  • disconnection
  • report dead
  • report leaders
  • report speed

And do we have to follow any naming convention for our own protocols?

Kindly clarify.

Protocol Team.

dguhath
Posted 18:58 Nov 04, 2015 |

As discussed,

Please go through the document and let me know if you have any doubts.

genusgant
Posted 23:13 Nov 04, 2015 |

we need a protocol to record the damage and health.

@design team : if one car hits another car will the both cars will get damaged or how?

bruno1693
Posted 10:25 Nov 05, 2015 |
genusgant wrote:

we need a protocol to record the damage and health.

@design team : if one car hits another car will the both cars will get damaged or how?

Yes. In one of the PP we presented before we mentioned the parts of the car that can be damaged. If car A hits car B lateral with the number, car A will receive less damage than car B. Also we gotta keep in mind the car model

bruno1693
Posted 10:27 Nov 05, 2015 |
dguhath wrote:

Some Info about Car:

• type of car
  • health
  • armour - rating, weight
  • speed booster - time limited, percentage increase, 1 time use
  • shield - invincible, time limited

@Design team - Do we have a limit on the number of powerup pickups. Could you please explain those?

By limit, you mean the amount of power ups you can pick up? You can pick up and use as many power ups as you want, as long as you have free slots for the power ups. 

Ex. You have a power up in keyboard #1 and #2, then you pick up a third power up, then you cannot pick up any more, but if you use one of the power ups you have, that slot will be free and you will be able to pick up another power up.

ryan0209
Posted 15:07 Nov 06, 2015 |

I checked the protocol from protocol team.

And I have a question: are we using 'double' instead of 'float'?

The given template doesn't have double parsing.

genusgant
Posted 16:01 Nov 06, 2015 |

Hello Team,

The list of protocols is posted in the CSNS. Most of the protocols are common for both RR Team and DD Team. Such protocols are written in red  font. 

We already started implementing these protocols. Please go through the list of protocols and report any issues you find.

@Client and Server Team. Please let us know if any change in parameters/ any addition in protocols as and when needed.

And for the common protocols, we need to discuss with the RR Team for implementing such protocols without any confusion.  

Protocol Team.

cs320stu66
Posted 12:19 Nov 11, 2015 |

Hi All. Has anyone thought of how we are going to create the random scales for the Mystery car?

Mystery car stats scale:

• Power: 1-100
  • Armor: 1-100
  • Control: 1-100
  • Top speed: 1-100
  • Acceleration: 1-100

In my opinion, we should create few (maybe 10) predefined different scales in database and server randomly chooses one of them if the player takes mystery car option.

cs320stu66
Posted 20:46 Nov 13, 2015 |

Hi DD Team,

Oscar and I are going to give a presentation regarding everything we have achieved on Tuesday 17th. I request you all to send us the detail and screen shots of all the achievements to your team sub-leader by Sunday 15th.

Team A: (Sub-leader: Mohammad: m.yazdani2010@gmail.com)

• Server
  • DB
  • Protocol
  • Test
  • IT

Team B: (Sub-leader: Oscar: ramirez_oscarp2@yahoo.com)

• Design
  • Art
  • Client

Thanks,

Mohammad Yazdani