reset password
Anon
Posted 22:38 Oct 25, 2015 |

http://www.calstatela.edu/ecst/cs/courses-cs-majors

On the tentative schedule, CS 312 has been listed as a class available for winter 2016 but on GET it is not there.
I think this will set back many students considering CS 312 is an requirement for many electives and will delay many students
who couldn't get into CS 312 this quarter (FALL). 

Please reconsider adding this class to GET or make a survey asking students who need this class since I am 100% sure we will get enough students to open one section for.

aaleman11
Posted 10:07 Oct 26, 2015 |

I completely agree with this post. I had to do my IAP this summer and I was told that CS312 would be offered in the Winter, which is why it's on my schedule. I can move things around but I'd rather stay on course to graduate in a few years. Not taking 312 might set me back.

Echoofdeath
Posted 11:30 Oct 26, 2015 |

I completely agree with everyone who posted here. Please reconsider adding this course since I also did IAP over summer and was told CS312 is offered every quarter and so I opted to take CS 386 over CS 312 for Fall but now I'm over here completely screwed for Spring 2016 quarter without any courses to take because CS 312 is a pre-req for everything and I've already taken all my GE's, UD GE's, and most major requirements. I'm safe for Winter 2016 regarding units but at this rate I'll be taking only one class CS 312 in the spring.

Last edited by Echoofdeath at 11:31 Oct 26, 2015.
darkserith
Posted 18:28 Oct 26, 2015 |

Personally i decided to take CS312 AND CS386 this quarter (Fall 2015) b/c i didn't think they would offer CS312 in the Winter 2016.

Why?

Because despite the CS website saying its offered every quarter, i checked the class schedule for

Winter 2012, Winter 2013, Winter 2014, and Winter 2015..

Found here: http://web.calstatela.edu/classschedule

and if you look through the schedules,  NEVER has CS312 been offered as a Winter Quarter class in those 4 years. 

But who knows? maybe for Winter 2016 they can make a change and offer CS312 for once, since the Semester system is approaching and they wanna get thru as many students as possible.

darkserith
Posted 18:33 Oct 26, 2015 |

oh yeah same with CS 386...i saw they never offered CS 386 in Winter so i did not want to wait until Spring to take CS 386.

my suggestion in the future is to browse past course schedules using the link I've provided as a reference pt as to what classes are offered in which quarter. they seem to offer almost the exact same set of core classes per quarter every year. (e.g. CS 312 in Fall and Spring only, but not Winter)

Echoofdeath
Posted 22:18 Oct 26, 2015 |
darkserith wrote:

Personally i decided to take CS312 AND CS386 this quarter (Fall 2015) b/c i didn't think they would offer CS312 in the Winter 2016.

Why?

Because despite the CS website saying its offered every quarter, i checked the class schedule for

Winter 2012, Winter 2013, Winter 2014, and Winter 2015..

Found here: http://web.calstatela.edu/classschedule

and if you look through the schedules,  NEVER has CS312 been offered as a Winter Quarter class in those 4 years. 

But who knows? maybe for Winter 2016 they can make a change and offer CS312 for once, since the Semester system is approaching and they wanna get thru as many students as possible.

I said this already but I only opted to take CS 386 over 312 because I was told during IAP workshop that CS 312 will be offered in Winter 2016 and many people have been told this as well and their IAP was approved by the CS department. Otherwise yes I would've take it in Fall as well but it's too late now, hence the reason I think Anon started this thread as well as people commenting here.

aaleman11
Posted 09:12 Oct 27, 2015 |
darkserith wrote:

oh yeah same with CS 386...i saw they never offered CS 386 in Winter so i did not want to wait until Spring to take CS 386.

my suggestion in the future is to browse past course schedules using the link I've provided as a reference pt as to what classes are offered in which quarter. they seem to offer almost the exact same set of core classes per quarter every year. (e.g. CS 312 in Fall and Spring only, but not Winter)

It's different when you ask your advisors questions and they guarantee you that they will offer the schedule you both agreed on. I usually do the exact same thing as you, but it's frustrating when you seek advisement and have your graduation potentially postponed as a result.

darkserith
Posted 10:00 Oct 27, 2015 |

aaleman11 wrote:
darkserith wrote:

It's different when you ask your advisors questions and they guarantee you that they will offer the schedule you both agreed on. I usually do the exact same thing as you, but it's frustrating when you seek advisement and have your graduation potentially postponed as a result.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about it. They will add CS312 I'm sure. The CS Department often times makes adjustments in their schedule later on anyways. If the advisors said they will offer CS312 for Winter 2016, they definitely will, since many students will have that expectation.

The only frustrating thing for you guys now is the question of "when" will they post it on the schedule