reset password
rabbott
Posted 20:50 Oct 23, 2015 |

Please look at the page describing the new lab processes. A link to this page is also available on the main course page.

Because it has been so difficult in finding a way to ensure honest quizzes, the labs and quizzes will now count equally as far as the final grade is concerned.

More generally, the final grade will be my best estimate (based on the quizzes, labs, forum participation, and class interaction) of how well you understand and can use the material covered in the course. In short it will be the letter of recommendation I would write for you (compressed down to 1 or 2 characters) based on my experience of you in the class.

Last edited by rabbott at 21:01 Oct 23, 2015.
jaimeh
Posted 21:24 Oct 23, 2015 |

Just so I can understand and confirm, all labs are now due by the end of the quarter. In order for a lab to count to your grade it needs to be reviewed and certified. All initial certification is done by either you or Jonathan for each individual lab. Others can get certification from a fellow pupil that has been certified for that specific lab. In order to keep people honest, you will check students for full understanding of their completed labs that have been certified. If understanding is lacking then the certifier and/or reviewer will be affected. As responsible students, we need to get all labs reviewed and certified by the 10th week.

Am I understanding the process correctly?

Anon
Posted 21:27 Oct 23, 2015 |

Dr. Abbott, with all due respect, this class is a mess. I am very confused as to how the grading looks like now. I have some questions:

1. Past labs, will they count towards the grade, if so, whats the grading mean (ok-,ok,ok+) and how will it count equally with the quizzes.

2. How come some people in the spreadsheet have certifiers and others don't? I remember having my code checked by you and long and I have neither of my labs with certifiers.

3. Since all labs are now due dec 6, how will the grading work for the labs? Is it based o the review/certifier running and checking code or will you go through all 85 students labs one by one to see if it is done correctly?

COMMENT: This class structure has become a mess and I feel as if its taking away from the whole learning process. We are half way through the quarter and things are messier than they were at the beginning. 

For the quizzes, you should really make 2 version of the quiz. The way you conducted the last quiz was horrible(no offense). I had to guess 2 questions bc i didn't have enough time (you refused to stay at the question longer in fear that we will type the question and pass it on to the next class). I understand cheating is an issue but this can be easily combatted with 2 version the quiz. If you don't want to write it, have your TA write them for you but don't use your last week's quiz taking method again, its not good at all. I hope things get fixed, and quick bc I am more stressed out about this 2 UNIT CLASS than my other 4-5 unit classes. Also, are we all still getting that extra point for the quizzes (for our profile picture)?

nikkodg
Posted 22:02 Oct 23, 2015 |

Will our quiz grades not be published to us personally anymore? 

Echoofdeath
Posted 22:10 Oct 23, 2015 |

If we have gotten a Ok- before, is it possible to re-do the same lab to get the grade changed to a Ok+ ? 
(and Ok to a Ok+ if we further improve the code)

thank you

jaimeh
Posted 22:11 Oct 23, 2015 |
nikkodg wrote:

Will our quiz grades not be published to us personally anymore? 

If I were to guess, he is probably waiting until after he grades the latest ones to check for statistical anomalies. I don't think he wants to credit the class for that other quiz that was so off.

Anon
Posted 22:24 Oct 23, 2015 |

If we turn in our labs weekly how soon will we know our grade and also will you be using the ok-,ok,ok+ grading? 

Anon
Posted 22:50 Oct 23, 2015 |

I also didn't like how last weeks quiz went where we had to look at the questions and answers on the power point. My page accidently refreshed while we were on question 7 and all my answers got deleted so I basically had to guess all my answers up until the 7th question because I couldn't remember what the questions or answers were. It sucks that people who are being honest in the class and don't cheat have to suffer because of the people who are cheating.

Anon
Posted 23:02 Oct 23, 2015 |
Anon wrote:

I also didn't like how last weeks quiz went where we had to look at the questions and answers on the power point. My page accidently refreshed while we were on question 7 and all my answers got deleted so I basically had to guess all my answers up until the 7th question because I couldn't remember what the questions or answers were. It sucks that people who are being honest in the class and don't cheat have to suffer because of the people who are cheating.

That's what you'd expect a cheater to say

Anon
Posted 23:09 Oct 23, 2015 |
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:

I'm actually in the Monday& Wednesday class so no, not really. 

Anon
Posted 23:35 Oct 23, 2015 |
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:

Which means you got to see the quiz on M/W before taking the quiz on T

Anon
Posted 23:38 Oct 23, 2015 |
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:

Which means you got to see the quiz on M/W before taking the quiz on T

No? Quizzes are always given to our class on Monday and we would take it on that day.

Anon
Posted 23:38 Oct 23, 2015 |

I completely agree with the first Anon's post.

Its extremely unfair to your students the alter the grading rubric half way through the quarter. If cheating was an issue, either 2 versions of the quiz needed to be administered, or the quiz should have been done on paper. 

Furthermore, if the Labs will be the main determinant in our grade, then perhaps the difficulty of them should be toned down quite a bit, to that it is at the level of a 2 unit. As it stands, the workload and effort required by this class surpasses that of my 5 unit class. The grades are also way to subjective and abstract. If i have 4 OK+, 3 OK, and 2 OK- coupled with various quiz scores, what exactly does that equal?

Quite frankly, this whole system is a disaster. I truly think that the rubric should be kept as is with the 10 quizes only, along with anti-cheating measures, and rather you can make changes for the next quarter. This needs to be solved immediately; there is no reason why I need to be more stressed out about how my grades are accounted for than on learning material...especially in a 2 unit class

rabbott
Posted 23:45 Oct 23, 2015 |

Let's step back and look at the fundamentals. The point of school is for students to learn something. My primary objective is to do what I can to facilitate that.

Grades are supposed to reflect how well one has learned and can use the material. They are not the product of the class. 

Unfortunately, the grading system often becomes a central focus. Many students think more about what they can do to manipulate the system so that they get the grade they want than about the material being taught. Many faculty spend too much time thinking about creating a grading system that can't be manipulated (or cheated). 

As we saw it turns out to be very difficult to create a foolproof grading system. So I want to step away from that. I will base my decision about grades on quizzes, lab work, participation, and other interactions. But there won't be a strict formula. The course grade will be my best estimate of how well you understand and can use the material covered in the course. In short it will be the letter of recommendation I would write for you (compressed down to 1 or 2 characters) based on my experience of you in this class.

To answer some of the specific questions.

The spreadsheet lists people who have OK+ on lab assignments. (If I missed someone, let me know.) Everyone else is invited to improve your work until you reach that level.

For the most part I will rely on the review/certification process. Given the time and the number of people I can't talk to each person individually about his/her lab work. The reviewer/certifier is intended to provide a proxy version of that interaction. I will make spot checks but will not be able to talk to everyone. I'll talk to anyone who wants to show me your work, though. (First talk about it with a reviewer, though.)

I agree that the PPT quiz didn't work well. (The scores were pretty bad!) It was an experiment, and it failed. 

My advice is to focus on learning the material and doing the work -- not on the grade. Do your best; ask questions if you are confused; do the lab exercises; get help or post a question to the forum if you are stuck; work with others. The grade should take care of itself.

Last edited by rabbott at 08:21 Oct 24, 2015.
Anon
Posted 10:33 Oct 24, 2015 |

relevant : http://csns.calstatela.edu/department/cs/forum/topic/view?id=4591783

Anon
Posted 20:40 Oct 25, 2015 |
Anon wrote:

I was actually enrolled in that cs 201 class that quarter and still remember that class...
Honestly this class is little by little starting to become reminiscent of that disastrous cs 201 class...

(why do they always have to try out all these new things that are a mess in the class im enrolled in)

Anon
Posted 20:50 Oct 25, 2015 |
Anon wrote:
Anon wrote:

I was actually enrolled in that cs 201 class that quarter and still remember that class...
Honestly this class is little by little starting to become reminiscent of that disastrous cs 201 class...

(why do they always have to try out all these new things that are a mess in the class im enrolled in)

Shit you're cursed.  I hope I'm in a different section than you, at least