reset password
venny
Posted 17:39 Oct 23, 2015 |
My Tomcat server is not working all of a sudden.  I'm getting an error saying it is not starting. I attached the part of the console where it says the error. I reinstalled the tomcat server.  I made another workspace package.  It all didn't work. I was looking off of here for a solution, but none work.  

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13244233/server-tomcat-v7-0-server-at-localhost-failed-to-start

If I can't get this working tonight, I won't be able to do my midterm tomorrow.
vluu2
Posted 17:46 Oct 23, 2015 |

In eclipse, on your right hand side, where they have little icons like console and stuff. Look for the one that says "servers", it should list Tomcat server 7.0. Then right click, and click "clean..". If that doesn't work, try right clicking again and click "clean tomcat directory". 

I had a similar error where my localhost was giving me errors and I found this solution on stackoverflow. Try this, if it doesn't work then maybe it's something else.. 

khanglam314
Posted 17:47 Oct 23, 2015 |

Check and make sure you don't have 2 or more servlet that have the same URL mapping, for example, 2 servlet that both have @WebServlet("/HelloWorld)

If you have two of them that have the same URL, the server will fail to start

Last edited by khanglam314 at 17:48 Oct 23, 2015.
epetrosy18
Posted 18:15 Oct 23, 2015 |

Additionally, I had an issue where my URL mapping was incorrect; i was missing a "/" at the start. It was a simple error, but sometimes you dont notice the simplest things haha.

venny
Posted 19:12 Oct 23, 2015 |

I tried out everything you guys said, then made a new project folder.  It worked, but I'm still paranoid if it'll fail on me again. Thanks

dbravoru
Posted 19:30 Oct 23, 2015 |

this happened to me and it wouldn't compile my .class files correctly, so even though everything looked good on the local server, when I uploaded them to cs3, I kept getting an Error 500 message.

I'd just create a new workspace to be honest, it was so much work trying to debug only to have to default to just creating a new workspace anyway.

ten minutes < 2 hours 

vluu2
Posted 20:37 Oct 23, 2015 |

But if you're able to debug it, you should be able to avoid future issues. Dealing with it now vs. Dealing with it during an exam? 

I choose now.