reset password
Amedrano
Posted 17:49 Oct 19, 2015 |
(define (find element list)
     (cond [(empty? list) list]
           [(equal? element (first list)) list]
           [else (find element (rest list))]))

in this block of code from the notes, on the 3rd line highlighted in blue, what does the last "list" do? what purpose does it serve? 

waaffles
Posted 17:57 Oct 19, 2015 |
In that second condition, you're asking: If the element passed in is equal to the first element of the list I'm passed in, return me that list in its entirety
darkserith
Posted 17:57 Oct 19, 2015 |

the "list" in blue is the list that contains the element that you are looking for, plus the rest of the list.

for example, if i have '(2 1 3), then if i want to look for 2 in '(2 1 3), then i call (find 2 '(2 1 3)).

first element in '(2 1 3) is 2, so it says ok, i found it, so let me return '(2 1 3).

if i wanted to find 1 in '(2 1 3) then the "list" in blue returns '(1 3).

eat eat

layla08
Posted 17:58 Oct 19, 2015 |
(define (find element list)                       // Defining the function find. Passing in 2 parameters.
     (cond [(empty? list) list]                   // If the list (the 2nd parameter) is empty, return itself
           [(equal? element (first list)) list]   // If the element = the first thing in the list, return list
           [else (find element (rest list))]))    // Else recursively call find, passing in element for the first         parameter, and the rest of the list for the second parameter
Amedrano
Posted 17:59 Oct 19, 2015 |

oooooOOOOOOoooo duh... thanks guys