reset password
ssun0507
Posted 12:20 Oct 08, 2015 |

I just saw that Lab 2 Due date is the same as Lab1 due date, which is this Friday. Is that correct? If so, it would be very difficult to finish the lab and demo it before Friday. 

darkserith
Posted 12:26 Oct 08, 2015 |

well demo isn't exactly required. its not realistic to have 82+ students demo their code to one person. i think that instead, you are supposed to include comments in your code on every line to show that you understood the program.

dbravoru
Posted 12:32 Oct 08, 2015 |

I think the professor emphasized getting someone to review your code at the bare minimum. 

While it is a little more difficult to have 82+ people demo their code to two people (the professor and a TA), it is not very unrealistic or difficult to demo the code to someone else in the class and have them review it for you. 

You're supposed to make sure that they understand how your program works well enough to explain it themselves for you. 

Then they sign off on it at the top (see Code Guidelines on the cs.calstatela.edu/wiki page).

Although I agree, if you weren't able to demo the code, make sure to include enough comments so that it is apparent that you understand what is happening in your code.

rabbott
Posted 12:55 Oct 08, 2015 |

Lab1's due date was delayed for various reasons. From now on, including Lab 2, the labs will be due at the end of the week.

WRT demoing, what we're really talking about is reviewing. In most companies a developer is required to have his/her code reviewed by a co-worker before it is checked into the product archive. The review should include reading and discussing the code as well as running some example test cases. Peer review is one way to maintain quality. I want you all to do that. In addition, I think it's useful for the reviewer to look at someone else's code. You will see how someone else thinks, which will often give you ideas about how to improve your work.

If you can't get your code reviewed in the lab, exchange email address or other communication mechanisms so that you can get it reviewed afterwards.You might post your code to GitHub, Google Docs, Dropbox, or some other source where it is accessible to others.Then you and the reviewer can talk while you both have it in front of you.

Last edited by rabbott at 12:56 Oct 08, 2015.
ssun0507
Posted 12:57 Oct 08, 2015 |

Gotcha. Will do. Thanks for answering.