reset password
cysun
Posted 08:39 Aug 17, 2015 |

Final will be held on Sunday 8/30 from 7:30pm to 11pm. The exam will be available on CSNS at 7:30pm. It is an open-book take-home exam. Other requirements are the same as for the midterm.

In the exam you will be asked to implement some functions for the CSJobs application, but instead of working on your own code, you will work on a copy of the CSJobs project checked out from svn://cs3.calstatela.edu/csjobs/trunk. Currently the repository is password-protected because it contains HW5 code. You will be able to access the repository after Saturday 8/22.

The following subjects will not be in the final:

• JavaScript/jQuery/Ajax
  • Task scheduling and execution
  • View template framework
  • Web services

If you have any questions about the final, please post them in this thread. I may also post additional information about the final here, so please subscribe to this thread by clicking on the "Subscribe to This Topic" button at the upper right corner of the post.

msargent
Posted 14:08 Aug 23, 2015 |

Should we presume that email, deployment, and full-text search are fair game?

cysun
Posted 07:09 Aug 25, 2015 |
msargent wrote:

Should we presume that email, deployment, and full-text search are fair game?

Yes.

Last edited by cysun at 07:10 Aug 25, 2015.
poonam31
Posted 14:42 Aug 25, 2015 |

i.e. These topics will be included in final , right? (email. full text search, deployment)

And we will have to deploy our project in final exam?

Last edited by poonam31 at 14:43 Aug 25, 2015.
cysun
Posted 16:17 Aug 25, 2015 |
poonam31 wrote:

i.e. These topics will be included in final , right? (email. full text search, deployment)

And we will have to deploy our project in final exam?

They may be in the final.

No, you won't deploy your project in the final, though you should know how to do it.

raylongma1018
Posted 07:46 Aug 26, 2015 |

so when I check the csjob code for final exam, I found it's possible for a reviewer to review the job even if the reviewer is not a committee member of that job. I believe this is part of requirement for homework5. shall we expect this part to be appeared again in the exam?

I thought code you released should satisfy all the requirement for hw5. 

Also for the final shall we zip our file into .zip format just like the midterm? or shall we export it to .war file and uploaded it csns?

for the email part, are we required to send our email to other external domains like .gmail.com hotmaillcom or shall we just focus on @localhost.localdomain. since you didn't cover how to send it to other external domain

for the full text search part. shall we focus on search only one class per search box? For example a search box that can only search Jobs, Users, or files. a search box that can search job but can't search user or files. Shall we expect to make a full text search box that can search multiple areas at a time? for example a search box that can search both user, jobs, and files. this is gonna be really complicated because we have to understand sql in order to do it. you said sql is gonna be covered in cs422 

Last for the reviewer ranking. for round 1 and round2 does the committee chair need all the comments from the committee members in order to give the decision?  or committee chair can give decision to the applicant with some of the comments from the committee member. so it's possible the committee chair is the only person who gives the comment and make the decision. Does the committee chair need to give the comment?

for round 3 can I assume all the reviewer must give the rank to the applicant? or is it possible only some of the committee members give the rank. because if reviewer does not give the rank to the applicant the total rank of that applicant is gonna be much less than other applicants, which means that applicant will definately have higher chances get selected because he will less total rank. 

raylongma1018
Posted 08:09 Aug 26, 2015 |

also I am wondering does the reviewer are required to give comments and rank for each round?

does the reviewer have to give the comment on first round before he can give comment to the second round? 

Shall I assume the each applicant go for each round at different day? that means a after reviewer gives comment to the applicant, he has to wait for the committee chair's decision in order to give comment for next round. 

Shall I expect final to be very complicated just like the reviewer ranking part? or shall I expect final to be at same diffucult level as midterm? (create, edit jobs)

The reviewer ranking part is much more complicated as I expected. there are lots of things that needs to be considered.

cysun
Posted 20:44 Aug 27, 2015 |
raylongma1018 wrote:

so when I check the csjob code for final exam, I found it's possible for a reviewer to review the job even if the reviewer is not a committee member of that job. I believe this is part of requirement for homework5. shall we expect this part to be appeared again in the exam?

I thought code you released should satisfy all the requirement for hw5. 

Also for the final shall we zip our file into .zip format just like the midterm? or shall we export it to .war file and uploaded it csns?

for the email part, are we required to send our email to other external domains like .gmail.com hotmaillcom or shall we just focus on @localhost.localdomain. since you didn't cover how to send it to other external domain

for the full text search part. shall we focus on search only one class per search box? For example a search box that can only search Jobs, Users, or files. a search box that can search job but can't search user or files. Shall we expect to make a full text search box that can search multiple areas at a time? for example a search box that can search both user, jobs, and files. this is gonna be really complicated because we have to understand sql in order to do it. you said sql is gonna be covered in cs422 

Last for the reviewer ranking. for round 1 and round2 does the committee chair need all the comments from the committee members in order to give the decision?  or committee chair can give decision to the applicant with some of the comments from the committee member. so it's possible the committee chair is the only person who gives the comment and make the decision. Does the committee chair need to give the comment?

for round 3 can I assume all the reviewer must give the rank to the applicant? or is it possible only some of the committee members give the rank. because if reviewer does not give the rank to the applicant the total rank of that applicant is gonna be much less than other applicants, which means that applicant will definately have higher chances get selected because he will less total rank. 

1. That could be a bug, Feel free to fix it. I can't tell you whether this part will be in the exam or not.

2. You'll be asked to zip your files like in the midterm.

3. The code is the same whether you email to localhost.localdomain or an external domain - basically your code just send the email to the outgoing SMTP server. Whether the email will be forwarded to an external domain depends on the configuration of the SMTP server, not your code.

4. SQL is covered in CS122, which is a prerequisite for CS320, which is the prerequisite for this class.

5. No and no. Although in practice every committee member (including the committee chair) will give their comments before making a decision, comments are optional.

6. You can assume that each committee member will rank all the applicants in round 3.

cysun
Posted 20:47 Aug 27, 2015 |
raylongma1018 wrote:

also I am wondering does the reviewer are required to give comments and rank for each round?

does the reviewer have to give the comment on first round before he can give comment to the second round? 

Shall I assume the each applicant go for each round at different day? that means a after reviewer gives comment to the applicant, he has to wait for the committee chair's decision in order to give comment for next round. 

Shall I expect final to be very complicated just like the reviewer ranking part? or shall I expect final to be at same diffucult level as midterm? (create, edit jobs)

The reviewer ranking part is much more complicated as I expected. there are lots of things that needs to be considered.

1. They only rank in round 3.

2. No, like I said, comments are optional.

3. I don't understand the question, but the second part is correct - the committee chair must first select the applicants into the next round before the committee members can comments for the next round.

4. I cannot say.

cthanh
Posted 14:54 Aug 29, 2015 |

Hello Dr. Sun,

As I'm looking through the code for the final, if I understand it correctly, if the reviewers input a comment, that the review is only linked to the round and reviewer in the Reviews table/Review class

I thought it should be at least linked to an application or job.

I don't know if this is part of the design or if your intent was to have us "fill in the blanks".

cysun
Posted 14:58 Aug 29, 2015 |
cthanh wrote:

Hello Dr. Sun,

As I'm looking through the code for the final, if I understand it correctly, if the reviewers input a comment, that the review is only linked to the round and reviewer in the Reviews table/Review class

I don't know if this is part of the design or if your intent was to have us "fill in the blanks".

Round is linked to Application, which is linked to Job and Applicant.

cthanh
Posted 15:03 Aug 29, 2015 |
cysun wrote:
cthanh wrote:

Hello Dr. Sun,

How about Review?

I see that it's linked to Reviewer and Round, but how can you tell which job or application the review is for?

cysun
Posted 15:05 Aug 29, 2015 |
cthanh wrote:
cysun wrote:
cthanh wrote:

Hello Dr. Sun,

How about Review?

I see that it's linked to Reviewer and Round, but how can you tell which job or application the review is for?

review.getRound().getApplication().getJob(), review.getRound().getApplication()

cthanh
Posted 15:14 Aug 29, 2015 |
cysun wrote:
cthanh wrote:
cysun wrote:
cthanh wrote:

Hello Dr. Sun,

How about Review?

review.getRound().getApplication().getJob(), review.getRound().getApplication()

Thank you! I'll give that a try. I guess I was confusing the Round.id with Round.round_index

cthanh
Posted 15:37 Aug 29, 2015 |

Does the Committee Chair need to add all the applications for the initial "Round 1" before the reviewers can commenting? or can the reviewers start reviewing them as they applications come in before the close date?

In other words, does the review come first or the round?

Thanks

Last edited by cthanh at 15:41 Aug 29, 2015.
cysun
Posted 15:39 Aug 29, 2015 |
cthanh wrote:

Does the Committee Chair need to add all the applications for the initial "Round 1" before the reviewers can commenting? or can the reviewers start reviewing them as they applications come in before the close date?

No. All applications that come in are considered in Round 1.

poonam31
Posted 15:46 Aug 29, 2015 |

I have a form and the method is 'post'. But still when I submit the form it is going to the get request method which is in controller and giving the error for not having the parameter which requires for get request. But it should go for a POST request method instead. 

cysun
Posted 15:47 Aug 29, 2015 |
poonam31 wrote:

I have a form and the method is 'post'. But still when I submit the form it is going to the get request method which is in controller and giving the error for not having the parameter which requires for get request. But it should go for a POST request method instead. 

Then debug.

poonam31
Posted 17:43 Aug 29, 2015 |

Does all applications of a job need to be reviewed by committee members before applications are selected by committee chair for the next round ?

OR

If one application is reviewed by the committee members for 'Round 1' , then based on these comments committee chair will decide to take this application to next round or not?

poonam31
Posted 17:51 Aug 29, 2015 |

Also reviewers will start reviewing the applications after the job's close date or it does not matter for initial round? (but close date can be null, So how this will work? )

And only after job's close date after all applications are reviewed by committee members for particular round, committee chair will select the applications for next round?

Last edited by poonam31 at 18:13 Aug 29, 2015.
cysun
Posted 19:40 Aug 29, 2015 |
poonam31 wrote:

Does all applications of a job need to be reviewed by committee members before applications are selected by committee chair for the next round ?

No.

cysun
Posted 19:42 Aug 29, 2015 |
poonam31 wrote:

Also reviewers will start reviewing the applications after the job's close date or it does not matter for initial round? (but close date can be null, So how this will work? )

And only after job's close date after all applications are reviewed by committee members for particular round, committee chair will select the applications for next round?

Close date doesn't matter. Reviewers can go back to previous rounds to review applications.

bseemscs
Posted 00:15 Aug 30, 2015 |

The code I download from svn://sun.calstatela.edu/csjobs appears to be the same as that for the mid term exam. I see no homework 5 code there. It is quite empty. Did I download the wrong thing? I don't see any other csjobs repository. 

afetiso
Posted 09:45 Aug 30, 2015 |

You need to be more careful you should add new repository svn://cs3.calstatela.edu/csjobs/trunk

bseemscs
Posted 10:21 Aug 30, 2015 |
afetiso wrote:

You need to be more careful you should add new repository svn://cs3.calstatela.edu/csjobs/trunk

Woops! Thank you.

kaancalstatela
Posted 15:03 Aug 30, 2015 |

Shall we assume that we're gonna implement security for the final or do we not have to worry about that?

cysun
Posted 15:04 Aug 30, 2015 |
kaancalstatela wrote:

Shall we assume that we're gonna implement security for the final or do we not have to worry about that?

I cannot answer that.

cysun
Posted 15:06 Aug 30, 2015 |
cysun wrote:
kaancalstatela wrote:

I cannot answer that.

Let me put it in another way. I already stated the subjects that you don't need to worry about; everything else may be in the final.

Last edited by cysun at 15:06 Aug 30, 2015.
kaancalstatela
Posted 15:08 Aug 30, 2015 |
cysun wrote:
cysun wrote:
kaancalstatela wrote:

I cannot answer that.

Let me put it in another way. I already stated the subjects that you don't need to worry about; everything else may be in the final.

Well played, sir. Well played. Alright then, thank you.

kaancalstatela
Posted 18:35 Aug 30, 2015 |

Anyone else run into an error while launching csjobs-exam where the mainpage is visible only for a second and then replaced by a blank white page. When I hit "back to previous page", it shows up again for a second before switching back to blank. Any ideas?

Edit: I just started using my firefox browser instead. Eclipse is just letting itself go every time I use it.

Last edited by kaancalstatela at 18:42 Aug 30, 2015.