reset password
nextmatrixman
Posted 15:15 Aug 10, 2015 |

Is it possible to setup our own version control server (i.e. Subversion) locally on our computer so we can benefit from all the features during project development? I've done some research and it seems that setting up SVN locally is possible but is quite complicated and I failed doing so.

If it's not recommended then I guess the next best option is to use something like CloudForge, but I'd prefer a local server if possible.

cysun
Posted 15:37 Aug 10, 2015 |

A completely local repository (i.e. a repository that cannot be accessed remotely) should be fairly easy to set up. Assuming you use Windows, just download the CollabNet command line Subversion (you don't need Edge or Apache Server), run the command "svnadmin create <folder>", and it will turn an empty folder into a Subversion repository. To use that repository, use the file URL type, e.g. file://C:/myrepo, and Subversion will access the file system directly without the need to go through a server.

Also if you want to work as a software professional, you may want to invest some time to learn git, which is tremendously popular right now. git supports synchronization between repositories (a feature Subversion lacks), so you can have a local repository to keep track of development locally, and sync it with a remote repository when necessary so you can also share your work with others.