reset password
ajoshi6
Posted 22:45 Apr 29, 2015 |

Do we have to control the hardware portion also(for example my subsystem is CheMin,)so should i concentrate more on its software working or the hardware also?

dguhath
Posted 23:35 Apr 29, 2015 |

From what I understand:

You need to implement both hardware & software. 

Simulate the hardware & build the controller to complement the hardware.

Your code will play both as Hardware(Simulator) as well as the control module handling the hardware.

Last edited by dguhath at 23:35 Apr 29, 2015.
ajoshi6
Posted 23:46 Apr 29, 2015 |

no, what my question is in simple language, WE HAVE TO MAKE A HARDWARE SYSTEM OR NOT?????

or just we have to deal with the software functionality,

thanks for the prompt reply

rkjc
Posted 23:47 Apr 29, 2015 |

Concentrate on the software. You need to research what the different functions the hardware is capable of so that you can specify the methods and function calls and attributes that the rest of the system would use to send commands to your unit.

for example you may need commands to open and close the sample input openings:

void CMIN_port_1_open(boolean setValue) { ... }

void CMIN_port_1_close(boolean setValue) { ... }

boolean CMIN_getStatus_port_1_cover() { ...  }

void CMIN_select_analysis_function(int chooseFunction) { ... }

You need to write an API of the specific commands the Rover Control Team will need to use to control your unit, to activate it and retrieve science data from it. You will then be writing a Class that can be instantiated (extends runnable). That object instance will have to respond to those function and method calls and return results that are similar to what the actual hardware would be producing.

Edit:

No hardware. They did not actually build a PIPboy, there was never an actual PortalGun, and we are not going to have real hardware modules. All of these exist as software simulations.

Last edited by rkjc at 23:57 Apr 29, 2015.
dguhath
Posted 00:20 Apr 30, 2015 |

I believe there is a disconnect here somewhere. 

Me & my team will be working on the thermal module so I'll use this as an example. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

We are going to work on 2 pieces of the thermal module:

First is the central module with all APIs to handle the different functionality.

Second is the module meant for reading the thermal data and posting it to the controller module. This module here is simulating the tasks of the actual hardware.

P.S.The hardware that we are supposed to build is a software simulation of the hardware and not an actual box of metal.

rkjc
Posted 00:23 Apr 30, 2015 |

That sounds completely correct.

dguhath
Posted 00:24 Apr 30, 2015 |

Thanks Richard.

ajoshi6
Posted 00:29 Apr 30, 2015 |

alright coool,

now got the point,

thanks richard,