reset password
sikandarahmad
Posted 15:15 Mar 04, 2015 |

** Everyone can view published department plans; only administrators can view unpublished department plans.

In Computer science department we have Plan-1 which is current Plan and Student 1 is mapped with this Plan. 

Administrator created new Plan name Plan-2 and make this plan as current plan, but Student 1 is still mapped to Plan-1.

Do we want Student-1 to stop viewing Plan-1

Please advice. 

Gayaneh
Posted 15:20 Mar 04, 2015 |

To my understanding, we should provide a button for student to be able to view newly published plan. However student's current plan is what he/she is mapped to (Plan_1) and that is the one he is working on it.

I am saying this, because in previous homework we are asked to ONLY change student's plan when they are changing their major.

-Gayaneh

cysun
Posted 16:23 Mar 04, 2015 |
sikandarahmad wrote:

** Everyone can view published department plans; only administrators can view unpublished department plans.

In Computer science department we have Plan-1 which is current Plan and Student 1 is mapped with this Plan. 

Administrator created new Plan name Plan-2 and make this plan as current plan, but Student 1 is still mapped to Plan-1.

Do we want Student-1 to stop viewing Plan-1

Please advice. 

Of course not since student 1 is still mapped to plan 1.

sikandarahmad
Posted 16:29 Mar 04, 2015 |

Thanks Prof,

When we are adding new Plan in a department and making that plan as current we will not update students plan to map to new current plan.

Right?.

Thanks,

cysun
Posted 16:43 Mar 04, 2015 |
Gayaneh wrote:

To my understanding, we should provide a button for student to be able to view newly published plan. However student's current plan is what he/she is mapped to (Plan_1) and that is the one he is working on it.

I am saying this, because in previous homework we are asked to ONLY change student's plan when they are changing their major.

-Gayaneh

Don't do that. You don't have to change your UI. Somebody "can" access something doesn't mean they "should" or "must".

cysun
Posted 16:43 Mar 04, 2015 |
sikandarahmad wrote:

Thanks Prof,

When we are adding new Plan in a department and making that plan as current we will not update students plan to map to new current plan.

Right?.

Thanks,

Right. Students should keep their old plans.

sikandarahmad
Posted 16:46 Mar 04, 2015 |

Thanks, 

When Student will keep their old Plan then they will not be able to view their plan because that Plan is not anymore current plan for the department. After this implementing the following task for HW6

• Everyone can view published department plans; only administrators can view unpublished department plans.

cysun
Posted 17:05 Mar 04, 2015 |
sikandarahmad wrote:

Thanks, 

When Student will keep their old Plan then they will not be able to view their plan because that Plan is not anymore current plan for the department. After this implementing the following task for HW6

• Everyone can view published department plans; only administrators can view unpublished department plans.

Don't confuse "published" plans with "department current" plan. A department can have many published plans but only one of them is the current plan. Making a plan "current" doesn't unpublish the previous plan.

spanfer
Posted 19:02 Mar 04, 2015 |

Hello Professor,

I have one questions on this: A Department can have 3 types of Plans:

1) Un-Published Plans (Many)

2) Published Plans (Many)

3) Current Official Plan (Only 1)

Can you please let me know if the criteria below to identify these 3 types is correct:

1) Un-Published Plans: Where the published date is null

2) Published Plans: Where the published date is not null but ispublished is "false"

3) Current Official Plan: Published Date is not null and ispublished is "true"

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Sharanjit

lmann2
Posted 19:27 Mar 04, 2015 |

I have the same question (and current conceptualization) as the student above. Published/Unpublished plans were not a part of our previous UI so I'm afraid that I might be misunderstanding your assignment.

cysun
Posted 21:29 Mar 04, 2015 |

You can use one field (boolean or Date) to distinguish published and unpublished plans. And one of the published plans is the current department plan.

If your model doesn't distinguish between published/unpublished plans, that's fine.

lmann2
Posted 21:34 Mar 04, 2015 |

So, there should be another view that all Users can access that shows just published uneditable department plans (unless of course you're the admin)?  

cysun
Posted 21:39 Mar 04, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

So, there should be another view that all Users can access that shows just published uneditable department plans (unless of course you're the admin)?  

No. you don't need to do that.

lmann2
Posted 21:57 Mar 04, 2015 |

But should students/advisors be able to view all published department plans if they are not the students current plan?  

In my application advisors can view all student plans (but there isn't a view for seeing all department published plans).

Students can view their current plan, but they cannot view all published plans in the department.  So whether or not a plan is published does not matter to the student or advisor view.  

Adding a column/field to distinguish published/unpublished plans would only affect the admin view.

cysun
Posted 22:06 Mar 04, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

But should students/advisors be able to view all published department plans if they are not the students current plan?  

In my application advisors can view all student plans (but there isn't a view for seeing all department published plans).

Students can view their current plan, but they cannot view all published plans in the department.  So whether or not a plan is published does not matter to the student or advisor view.  

Adding a column/field to distinguish published/unpublished plans would only affect the admin view.

You don't need to create another view to show all the plans to students/advisors.

Understand that security requirements and functional/UI requirements are different. A security requirement that says "a user can do something" doesn't necessarily mean a user should or must do something. On the other hand, your UI not showing some function doesn't mean a user cannot bypass your UI and do it anyway.

lmann2
Posted 22:07 Mar 04, 2015 |

got it. 

nahmed5
Posted 22:13 Mar 04, 2015 |

I just reached to this point of the assignment. I have creted a boolean filed for the published requirement and wrote the authorozing statements in my DaoImpl. Since I do not have anything in my UI so to check it when I'm looging in as  an user, I'm writing the published/unpublished plan ID in the url planid field to check if it fulfills the question criteria. I think, this is what the Prof wants.

spanfer
Posted 00:48 Mar 05, 2015 |

Thank you Professor