reset password
misha.chandan
Posted 15:53 Mar 01, 2015 |

Hello Professor,
1. Students can only access their own plans; advisors can access everybody's plan.
- Maintaining the user in session handles this. So how do we break the security and test this?
2. Everyone can view published department plans; only administrators can view unpublished department plans.
- Please elaborate on testing this scenario?
3. Only administrators can create/edit department plans (including runways, stages, and checkpoints).
- Specifying the url restrictions for /admin/** handles this. How do we test?
4. The user interface should hide operations from the users who do not have the privilege to perform those operations.
- Have maintained different UI for different users roles. How do we test this ?  

Regards,

Misha Chandan

cysun
Posted 17:14 Mar 01, 2015 |

The simplest way to test security is to "enter URL manually". For example, suppose the URL for an advisor to see a student's plan is viewPlan.html?studentId=1. You can log in as a student and manually enter that URL in the browser and see if you can access it as a student. Most UI designs would hide functions that users don't have access to, but hiding things is not enough to deter potential attackers. By "entering URL manually" you can bypass UI and check if the underlying function is actually secure.

nirajpatel2402
Posted 17:58 Mar 01, 2015 |

4. The user interface should hide operations from the users who do not have the privilege to perform those operations.
- In this case if we have different UI for different role of user, there is no necessary to use security tag library. 

Is it ok?

cysun
Posted 19:40 Mar 01, 2015 |
nirajpatel2402 wrote:

- In this case if we have different UI for different role of user, there is no necessary to use security tag library. 

Is it ok?

If in your implementation a user can only have one role, then yes.

misha.chandan
Posted 20:27 Mar 01, 2015 |

NIRAJPATEL2402 WROTE:

Is it ok?

If in your implementation a user can only have one role, then yes.

In my User model, one user can have multiple roles and  have different UI for each Role . I think I will not need security tag library as I have specified restrictions on urls like /admin/** .

Is it ok? 

cysun
Posted 20:40 Mar 01, 2015 |

I'm thinking of a UI like CSNS where under the Home menu there are two links Instructor Home and Student Home. If a user only has the Student role, the Instructor Home link will be hidden. Depending on your UI design, you may or may not need to do something like that, but do note that this is not just about security, but also good UI design, which says don't show users things that they don't have access to.

misha.chandan
Posted 20:50 Mar 01, 2015 |

Thank you .