reset password
nahmed5
Posted 13:44 Feb 24, 2015 |

1. Advisor Functions

(a) (20pt) Search Students

An advisor can search for students by name, CIN, and email. If your User model does not have CIN or email, you need to add them. For 10pt extra credit, add autocomplete feature to the search function (see the user search function in CSNS2 for example).

Here, to search for a student does the advisor has to fill up all 3 fields? or any one field can find the a student? (since all 3 fields are unique for a particular student)

cysun
Posted 13:55 Feb 24, 2015 |

There's only one field. An advisor can type name, or CIN, or email into the field. The system will try first using the input as a name, then a CIN, then an email, until either a user (or more than one user in the case of name) is found or no user is found after trying all three.

nahmed5
Posted 14:22 Feb 24, 2015 |

Thanks a lot!

1. However, say in my database I have user name (eg jdoe1), First name (John) and Last name (Doe). So, the Advisor will write the first and last name of a user in the search filed. Am I correct? Then , if he has not found any user of that name(in case, the Advisor made a spelling mistake), next he'll try CIN or email. Right?

2. In case there are two users of the same name (e.g. two John Does) , will the information of both needs to be shown? Or the system will prompt the Advisor to input CIN or email in such a case?

3. By autocomplete, do you mean that when the Advisor inputs 'John', the system will automatically fill up the form with 'Doe'?

cysun
Posted 15:07 Feb 24, 2015 |

1. Ideally the system should handle all possible combinations of first name and last name, but at the very least you should handle the cases where only first name or only last name is entered. If the search doesn't return any result (e.g. due to misspelling), it's up to the user to try again.

2. You must display all results if there are more than one match.

3. No. I think "autocomplete" these days usually means creating a dropdown list based on what the user has entered. See Google query suggestion, jQuery UI Autocomplete, or the user search function in CSNS2.

nahmed5
Posted 17:12 Feb 24, 2015 |

Thanks a lot! That was helpful.

lmann2
Posted 14:48 Feb 27, 2015 |

An advisor can search for students by name

Does this mean our search function should only search for Users that are students (or those that have the student role)?