reset password
spanfer
Posted 20:26 Feb 18, 2015 |

Hello Professor,

------------------------------------------------------------

1. Check/uncheck checkpoints

This function must be implemented using Ajax.

-------------------------------------------------------------

1) Is this for the Student Login?

2) The Student should see only the published plan for that department and there can be only one published plan for that department.

Please let us know.

Thanks and Regards,

Sharanjit

cysun
Posted 22:42 Feb 18, 2015 |

1. No, this is what a student does after he or she logs in.

2. Actually the student sees the plan assigned to him/her, which is not necessarily the "current" plan of the department. An admin may create a new plan for a department and set the new plan to be the current/official plan of the department. All the students who are on the old department plan will stay on that plan.

lmann2
Posted 12:24 Feb 19, 2015 |

I'm still a little confused about why check/uncheck checkpoints needs a ajax call (I imagine this a js function for onclick that updates some data using Ajax).  Can you elaborate on this a little?

spanfer
Posted 12:48 Feb 19, 2015 |

Thank you Professor.

1. So assuming the scenario where a Student logins to the GEFP Application, then he/she should see the plan assigned to him/her and then should be able to check/uncheck the checkpoints, is this what Check/Uncheck means.

2. Admin can create more than 1 Plan for the Department, so:

2.1) What plan should the student see when they login

2.2) If the Student is supposed to see only 1 plan, then who assigns this plan for the student, is it the advisor.

2.3) If "Assign Plan to Student" is a function, then who should be able to perform this function: Admin or Advisor.

3) On the AJAX note: can we use either "XMLHttpRequest" or "$.post()/$.get()" using jQuery and JSON

Please let us know.

Thank and Regards,

Sharanjit

cysun
Posted 14:30 Feb 19, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

I'm still a little confused about why check/uncheck checkpoints needs a ajax call (I imagine this a js function for onclick that updates some data using Ajax).  Can you elaborate on this a little?

After a student checks/unchecks a checkpoint, we need to save that information on the server side, and we can do that either by submitting a form or making an ajax call in the background. The ajax way provides a better user experience.

cysun
Posted 14:37 Feb 19, 2015 |
spanfer wrote:

Thank you Professor.

1. So assuming the scenario where a Student logins to the GEFP Application, then he/she should see the plan assigned to him/her and then should be able to check/uncheck the checkpoints, is this what Check/Uncheck means.

2.2) If the Student is supposed to see only 1 plan, then who assigns this plan for the student, is it the advisor.

2.3) If "Assign Plan to Student" is a function, then who should be able to perform this function: Admin or Advisor.

3) On the AJAX note: can we use either "XMLHttpRequest" or "$.post()/$.get()" using jQuery and JSON

Please let us know.

Thank and Regards,

Sharanjit

1. Yes.

2.1 If the student already has a plan assigned, he/she sees that plan; if the student doesn't have an assigned plan, the system assigns the current plan of the department to the student based on the student's major.

2.2 The system will assign the plan based on the student's major. We didn't implement the registration function, but you can imagine that the student will select their major during registration.

2.3 See 2.1 & 2.2.

3. Although it's not explicitly required in the assignment, I expect you to implement Ajax using jQuery (it doesn't matter what jQuery function you use though).

spanfer
Posted 14:59 Feb 19, 2015 |
cysun wrote:
spanfer wrote:

Thank you Professor.

Please let us know.

Thank and Regards,

Sharanjit

1. Yes.

2.1 If the student already has a plan assigned, he/she sees that plan; if the student doesn't have an assigned plan, the system assigns the current plan of the department to the student based on the student's major.

2.2 The system will assign the plan based on the student's major. We didn't implement the registration function, but you can imagine that the student will select their major during registration.

2.3 See 2.1 & 2.2.

3. Although it's not explicitly required in the assignment, I expect you to implement Ajax using jQuery (it doesn't matter what jQuery function you use though).

Thank you Professor

One more question on 2.1:

The Major corresponds to the Department and lets say we have a Department called "Computer Science".

So that also is the Student's major.

Now if this Department has more than 1 plan, e.g. Plan 1, Plan 2, Plan 3, then which plan should the System automatically assign to the Student, or should we for now consider a random assignment, like assign the latest plan, etc.

Please let us know.

Thanks and Regards,

Sharanjit

cysun
Posted 15:04 Feb 19, 2015 |

Like I said, the "current" (i.e. official) plan of the department will be assigned. You can assume such a plan always exists because in practice we won't let any student to register until each department has a "current" plan.

spanfer
Posted 15:19 Feb 19, 2015 |

Thank you Professor.

Its clear now.

A Department can have more than 1 plan and will make one plan the "Current/Official" plan.

When a Student logins, then that Department's current plan is displayed on the screen, where now the student can check/uncheck the checkpoints.

Thanks and Regards,

Sharanjit

lmann2
Posted 17:31 Feb 19, 2015 |
cysun wrote:
lmann2 wrote:

After a student checks/unchecks a checkpoint, we need to save that information on the server side, and we can do that either by submitting a form or making an ajax call in the background. The ajax way provides a better user experience.

So, everytime a checkbox is clicked it either removes or adds the checkpoint to the user's Plan which means depending on how you implement that there's no done/update button on the page correct?

cysun
Posted 17:32 Feb 19, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:
cysun wrote:
lmann2 wrote:

So, everytime a checkbox is clicked it either removes or adds the checkpoint to the user's Plan which means depending on how you implement that there's no done/update button on the page correct?

Yes.