reset password
Yuan-Yu
Posted 12:12 Jan 21, 2015 |

Hello,

I have few questions while I was doing assignment 2.

1. For the second part, is the final result as the attachment? Is there anything else we need to do?

2. When I was creating branches and tags for the second part, I encountered one problem-the folder does not exist. So, I had to create "tags" folder and "branches" folder first; and then, I could create a tag or a branch into them later. I checked with the video, it shows he creates a branch directly instead of create a folder first. Why is it different?

3. What is the difference between branch and tag?

Thank you for your answers.

Last edited by Yuan-Yu at 16:48 Jan 23, 2015.
cysun
Posted 13:01 Jan 21, 2015 |

1. You'll find out after I grade the homework.

2. When you create a branch or tag, there's an option there that says "Create intermediate folders". Check that option and it'll create intermediate folders that don't exist.

3. They are used for different purposes. If you want to keep the current state of the project so you can go back to it later, you use a tag. If you want to work on different things in parallel, you create a branch. In Subversion both tagging and branching are implemented using the copy operation so in that sense they are the same in Subversion, but you should not commit back to a tag as it'll change the meaning of the tag. Most version control systems won't allow committing back to tag; you can do it in Subversion but it's bad practice and Subclipse will give you a warning.