Under the Spring MVC instructions you ask us to add a dependency:

1. Add the dependency org.springframework:spring-webmvc:3.2.8.RELEASE

Which means that we add this to pom.xml: 

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
    <artifactId>spring-web</artifactId>
    <version>3.2.8.RELEASE</version>
</dependency>

and then update the maven project, correct? Sorry if this is a silly question I just got a bit confused. 

plakhan
Posted 16:48 Jan 20, 2015 |

Yes, This will add spring webmvc jar to the project

Last edited by plakhan at 16:49 Jan 20, 2015.
lmann2
Posted 16:50 Jan 20, 2015 |

Got it, thanks!

cysun
Posted 17:10 Jan 20, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

To clarify:

Under the Spring MVC instructions you ask us to add a dependency:

1. Add the dependency org.springframework:spring-webmvc:3.2.8.RELEASE

Which means that we add this to pom.xml: 

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
    <artifactId>spring-web</artifactId>
    <version>3.2.8.RELEASE</version>
</dependency>

and then update the maven project, correct? Sorry if this is a silly question I just got a bit confused. 

The usual way to write Maven coordinates is <group id>:<artifact id>:<version>. You are mostly right except that the artifact id should be spring-webmvc, not spring-web.

lmann2
Posted 19:15 Jan 20, 2015 |

2. (15pt) Follow Step 1 and 2 in Spring and Hibernate From Scratch to create a Spring web application called gefp (which stands for Golden Eagle Flight Plan).

Q: The example in your instructions has us set up a simple application is that we're uploading to CSNS or are we uploading our first project?  Also, What is naming the spring web application (i.e. should it be <artifactId> in the beginning of the pom.xml?

Use the Maven Assembly plugin to package the source files of the application into a zip file gefp-src.zip and upload it to CSNS. For this assignment the source package should only include the /src folder and pom.xml.

Q:This is naive, but are we downloading the plugin through eclipse>help>InstallNewSoftware or do we just add a dependency in the pom.xml file?...I guess the steps listed in the link below threw me off:

• choose or write the assembly descriptor to use,
  • configure the Assembly Plugin in your project's pom.xml, and
  • run "mvn assembly:single" on your project.
dguhath
Posted 22:12 Jan 20, 2015 |

For the second Q. :

Maven takes care of the download. We just have to include the task in the pom.xml. I guess the choose/write option is there because maven provides some default descriptors that can be chosen to execute certain specific functions OR the user can write their custom configurations in the descriptor file.

Last edited by dguhath at 22:13 Jan 20, 2015.
cysun
Posted 09:34 Jan 21, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

2. (15pt) Follow Step 1 and 2 in Spring and Hibernate From Scratch to create a Spring web application called gefp (which stands for Golden Eagle Flight Plan).

Q: The example in your instructions has us set up a simple application is that we're uploading to CSNS or are we uploading our first project?  Also, What is naming the spring web application (i.e. should it be <artifactId> in the beginning of the pom.xml?

Use the Maven Assembly plugin to package the source files of the application into a zip file gefp-src.zip and upload it to CSNS. For this assignment the source package should only include the /src folder and pom.xml.

Q:This is naive, but are we downloading the plugin through eclipse>help>InstallNewSoftware or do we just add a dependency in the pom.xml file?...I guess the steps listed in the link below threw me off:

• choose or write the assembly descriptor to use,
  • configure the Assembly Plugin in your project's pom.xml, and
  • run "mvn assembly:single" on your project.

1. The assignment says "Follow Step 1 and 2 in Spring and Hibernate From Scratch to create a Spring web application called gefp (which stands for Golden Eagle Flight Plan). Use the Maven Assembly plugin to package the source files of the application into a zip file gefp-src.zip and upload it to CSNS". "The application" refers to the application in the previous sentence, not the application in the last homework. And yes, in a Maven project the artifactId is the project name.

2. The lecture notes has an example of adding a plugin (the compiler plugin) to pom.xml, which basically involves specifying the coordinates of the plugin, associating a goal of the plugin to a build cycle phase, and configuring the plugin. In this case the goal is "single", the phase should be "package", and the configuration is the path to the assembly descriptor file which contains information about the package like the format of the package (e.g. zip) and the files/directories to be included/excluded. To run it use "mvn package".

lmann2
Posted 20:59 Jan 21, 2015 |

3. (15pt) Follow Step 1 in Import and Merge with Subclipse to import the project to your Subversion repository. Note that only source files should be version controlled. After the project is imported, create a tag called cs520-hw2.

Q: So, the follow up question is "the project" is HW1, correct?

nahmed5
Posted 21:14 Jan 21, 2015 |

"3. (15pt) Follow Step 1 in Import and Merge with Subclipse to import the project to your Subversion repository. Note that only source files should be version controlled. After the project is imported, create a tag called cs520-hw2.

Q: So, the follow up question is "the project" is HW1, correct? "

I have the same question. Prof, please clarify.

Last edited by nahmed5 at 21:16 Jan 21, 2015.
cysun
Posted 21:57 Jan 21, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

3. (15pt) Follow Step 1 in Import and Merge with Subclipse to import the project to your Subversion repository. Note that only source files should be version controlled. After the project is imported, create a tag called cs520-hw2.

Q: So, the follow up question is "the project" is HW1, correct?

No, "the project" refers to the Spring webapp gefp created in 2.