reset password
lmann2
Posted 13:38 Jan 19, 2015 |

Hey all,

I was a little confused by some of the questions on this exercise, read below:

• For Q3, there are two different ways to map a 1 to M relationship that are equally valid. Should we use the least possible number of tables?
  • Can a editor edit many books?
  • For 7-8 I followed the rule for any collections class that I know, but I noticed that we can mark more then one answer...Does that imply anything?

If anyone has any ideas about these questions let me know!

spanfer
Posted 14:01 Jan 19, 2015 |

For Q3, its not about creating the least possible number of tables, follow the normalization guidelines for many to many relationship and redundancy.

cysun
Posted 14:03 Jan 19, 2015 |

1. Yes (and I'm curious about the 2nd "equally valid" way).

2. Of course.

3. Don't worry about how many options you can choose - just choose the one (or ones) that you think is correct.

lmann2
Posted 14:12 Jan 19, 2015 |

For Q1, I had ignored normalization and that pretty much answers my question.  However, my understanding for 1:N relationships is that you can create a third table that has the has the primary keys of both tables with the primary key of the new table being the primary key of the N side of the relationship. 

cysun
Posted 14:21 Jan 19, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

For Q1, I had ignored normalization and that pretty much answers my question.  However, my understanding for 1:N relationships is that you can create a third table that has the has the primary keys of both tables with the primary key of the new table being the primary key of the N side of the relationship. 

And in the same way you could create a fourth table, a fifth table, and so on and it would work, but I wouldn't consider it "equally valid" because it makes queries less efficient (due to an additional join) for no reason.

tonyg
Posted 11:21 Jan 20, 2015 |

For 7 and 8, do the options, "A foreign key column referencing the id column of the X table needs to be added to the Y table. ?"

suggest that a new column is created in addition to the existing columns, or simply that an existing column is modified to act as a foreign key?

cysun
Posted 11:51 Jan 20, 2015 |
tonyg wrote:

For 7 and 8, do the options, "A foreign key column referencing the id column of the X table needs to be added to the Y table. ?"

suggest that a new column is created in addition to the existing columns, or simply that an existing column is modified to act as a foreign key?

The question is asking whether a new column needs to be created.