reset password
Posted 10:50 Jan 15, 2015 |

I am done with implementing the second strategy for the duel problem but, now, I think that I may have gotten the question wrong.

When it says Jason has to miss intentionally on his first shot, does this mean his win rate would be 0%? The reason I think his win rate will be zero is that he's the first one to take a shot in the game and he's dueling with Lenny first. So, if his misses his shot on Lenny intentionally, then he's basically dead as Lenny does not miss at all.

Last edited by 303496263 at 10:50 Jan 15, 2015.
epetrosy18
Posted 10:55 Jan 15, 2015 |
Not necessarily. Each person fires at the most accurate shooter, so; -jason fires and Lenny and misses intentionally -kyle fires at Lenny and possibly hits -if Lenny is still alive after Kyle's shot, he'll shoot back at kyle -its jason's turn again and he will fire at kyle or Lenny depending on who's alive So no Jason should not be losing 100% of the time
Last edited by epetrosy18 at 10:56 Jan 15, 2015.
redge
Posted 11:00 Jan 15, 2015 |
Recall that Jason is the lowest priority target. If he misses his first shot every time, this ensures that Kyle will be shooting at Lenny, and there's a 50 percent chance Lenny will be dead before having a chance to shoot. Should Lenny die before firing, the duel is now between Kyle and Jason. There's a 33 percent chance that Jason kills Kyle before Kyle can shoot at him; if he misses, there's a 50 percent chance that Kyle will also miss, giving Jason another chance. The other potential scenario is that Kyle misses and Lenny gets a turn. In that case, Kyle is guaranteed to die, after which Jason has a 33 percent chance to kill Lenny before Lenny fires. I think you're misunderstanding the turn order and target priorities here. Jason will miss his first shot, then Kyle fires, then Lenny fires, so Lenny will not have an immediate chance to shoot Jason. Beyond that, Lenny will aim at Kyle first, as Kyle has a better chance of hitting him than Jason would; in all scenarios, Jason lives long enough to fire at least once, and by the time he does, there is only one other target; if he hits them, he wins the duel.
Posted 12:20 Jan 15, 2015 |

Thank you guys.