reset password
rabbott
Posted 15:06 Dec 09, 2014 |

Every once in a while a student takes a test by special arrangement. I'd like to be able to set the student's start time to be different from the class start time.

cysun
Posted 15:52 Dec 09, 2014 |

There's a technical problem and a practical problem with this.

The technical problem is related to how to determine whether an assignment is published or not. With this change, and suppose we start an assignment for one student but not for the rest of the class, we have to treat the assignment as published in some cases (e.g. the structure of the assignment cannot be changed any more), but un-published in some other cases (e.g. other students cannot access the assignment). It's not too big a deal but it does complicate the code and hurt long-term maintainability.

The practical problem is that allowing late submission only affects one student, but allowing early start may affect the whole class if the student leaks the assignment.

Overall I'm leaning toward no for this.

rabbott
Posted 16:31 Dec 09, 2014 |
In all the cases I actually use the individual student takes the test after the rest of the class. Would that work?
cysun
Posted 16:43 Dec 09, 2014 |
rabbott wrote:
In all the cases I actually use the individual student takes the test after the rest of the class. Would that work?

In that case you can just extend the submission time because if the whole class already see the test, the student would probably know about it if he or she really wants to. Also "allowing individual start time but only if it's after the start time of the assignment"
 is actually worse than "allowing individual start time" in terms of handling special cases.

rabbott
Posted 17:17 Dec 09, 2014 |
I actually have this case today. I gave the cs312 final earlier today. There were two sections: one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Everyone but one student from the afternoon section could make it to the morning final time. So that one student is taking the final now. I wanted to block his access to the final until his start time. I don't think he is the type to ask others in the class to tell him what was on the test. (Besides it was 50 questions. Unless someone took a screen shot of the page and sent it to him he would not know much if anything about it.) But even though he probably wouldn't ask someone to cheat for him the temptation not to look in advance is pretty strong. That's what I'd like to avoid.