reset password
kevinmowers@yahoo.com
Posted 20:17 Dec 07, 2014 |

4. Not counting the graph itself, the stack used to keep track of subprogram calls, the explored set, or the visited list, the maximum amount of non-local storage needed for Graph.search doing BFS is

the number of nodes
 the number of edges
 the maximum number of neighbors for any one node

**Is the answer to problem 4 'a : the number of nodes', because at the end of the search, all the nodes will be in explored? 

5. Not counting the graph itself, the stack used to keep track of subprogram calls, the explored set, or the visited list, the maximum amount of non-local storage needed for Graph.search doing DFS is

the number of nodes
 the number of edges

**I don't understand why the the maximum amount of storage isn't the number of nodes. At the end of the search for a worst case scenario, all of the nodes would be explored eventually.

6. Not counting the graph itself, the stack used to keep track of subprogram calls, the explored set, or the visited list, the maximum amount of non-local storage needed for Graph.dfs (the recursive version of depth-first-search) is

the number of nodes
 the number of edges

**I got this right, but I don't understand why it would be 0

7. The code for Graph.dfs must include both of the following lines. 

visited.add(n);  // line a

and

explored.add(n); // line b

In the code, 

line a must precede line b
 line b must precede line a
 either line a or line b can come first
 neither line a nor line b can come first

**When searching by dfs, the program visits the node to see what edges are related to it, then it explores that node. I don't know why 'a' would be wrong

Please help, thank you!

mnava18
Posted 20:25 Dec 07, 2014 |

for 7 , the answer is choice 3 because your adding a and b ,it doent matter which comes first.t

rabbott
Posted 21:11 Dec 07, 2014 |
kevinmowers@yahoo.com wrote:

4. Not counting the graph itself, the stack used to keep track of subprogram calls, the explored set, or the visited list, the maximum amount of non-local storage needed for Graph.search doing BFS is

the number of nodes
 the number of edges

**Is the answer to problem 4 'a : the number of nodes', because at the end of the search, all the nodes will be in explored? 

Both this question and the next are asking about the storage used to keep track of the nodes to be explored next. In BFS you keep track of the neighbors. They are put into the queue. At worst, all the nodes could be in that queue.

5. Not counting the graph itself, the stack used to keep track of subprogram calls, the explored set, or the visited list, the maximum amount of non-local storage needed for Graph.search doing DFS is

the number of nodes
 the number of edges

**I don't understand why the the maximum amount of storage isn't the number of nodes. At the end of the search for a worst case scenario, all of the nodes would be explored eventually.

It is the number of nodes. It's not because all the nodes will be explored eventually but because almost all the nodes might be neighbors of a single line descent to the bottom of the tree.

6. Not counting the graph itself, the stack used to keep track of subprogram calls, the explored set, or the visited list, the maximum amount of non-local storage needed for Graph.dfs (the recursive version of depth-first-search) is

the number of nodes
 the number of edges

**I got this right, but I don't understand why it would be 0

It's 0 because recursive DFS doesn't keep a record of  the nodes to be explored next.

7. The code for Graph.dfs must include both of the following lines. 

visited.add(n);  // line a

and

explored.add(n); // line b

In the code, 

line a must precede line b
 line b must precede line a
 either line a or line b can come first
 neither line a nor line b can come first

**When searching by dfs, the program visits the node to see what edges are related to it, then it explores that node. I don't know why 'a' would be wrong

Please help, thank you!

vsluong4
Posted 21:52 Dec 07, 2014 |

Relevant

Either I took too many English classes, or I didn't take quite enough.

kevinmowers@yahoo.com
Posted 21:56 Dec 07, 2014 |

This was mentioned a while ago