reset password
rabbott
Posted 20:54 Dec 02, 2014 |

A number of students in the 4:20 class turned in the P quiz even though they were not in class. I changed all the grades to 0 -- but left the scores so that you can see what you got wrong.

Worse, at least three of you asked me if you could have the test count for you. You acted as if you took the test innocently and thought that you deserved a break because of the weather. It turns out that you got the same question wrong -- and wrong in the same foolish way. The worst academic crime is intellectual dishonesty. The three of you have lost all respect.

rabbott
Posted 08:59 Dec 03, 2014 |

Eight students in the second section got a score of 2 on the T quiz. Of those 8, seven got exactly the same problems wrong, and they were wrong in the same way.  Based on the work you did with Bloom Filters, what do you think is the probability of that? That seems like strong evidence for cheating.

Last edited by rabbott at 09:52 Dec 03, 2014.
rabbott
Posted 19:25 Dec 03, 2014 |

The current cheating has put the quizzes and other work in question.  I spoke to Dr. Pamula. We agreed to do the following.

For the MS students in the 4:20 section, the entire grade for the course will be determined by the final. Nothing else will count. 

If you believe that you did well on the quizzes or extra credit without cheating, I'm willing to talk to you about it. Please arrange to see me. I will ask you to explain your answers on the quizzes and your extra credit submissions. If I am convinced that you understand the answers you gave and the code you submitted, I will count the quizzes and extra credit for you. On the other hand, if I believe that you are attempting to bluff, not only will the quizzes and extra credit not count, a negative score will be assessed against you and subtracted from your score on the final.  

As indicated above, this applies only to the MS students in the 4:20 section.

Last edited by rabbott at 19:27 Dec 03, 2014.
mnava18
Posted 13:44 Dec 04, 2014 |

MS is master students? making sure i understand whats goin on. this has me worried about my grade though im not one of the eight students , i just wanna make sure all my quiz and EC count.

Last edited by mnava18 at 13:45 Dec 04, 2014.
rabbott
Posted 13:48 Dec 04, 2014 |

Right. MS refers to Masters Students.