reset password
mnava18
Posted 22:40 Nov 04, 2014 |

theses quizs are getting harder and harder and the time seems to be getting smaller smaller. todays 1st quiz for example , after all that hollering about wanting us to watch the videos , there were only 4 questions that had to do with the video out of 8. everything else was reading somone elses code. and what was with only having 5 mins to do that quiz? that was a really unfair quiz. I had to guess half the quiz because time ran out. the quizs themselves ive also  noticed have been getting progressively harder and harder every week. I watch the videos , i go to tutoring and i still get stuck on these questions. i always feel like i have a good understanding of the videos and what goins on , but  most of the time i struggle with the quiz becuase the questions are either worded in a way thats hard to understand or the question itself is really hard..

G190852562
Posted 22:56 Nov 04, 2014 |

In the words of a wise man, "In Google+ I'd give that post a +1."  But also, "Don't rush when you think about these problems."

mnava18
Posted 01:32 Nov 05, 2014 |

lol i try not to rush , but alot of us spend time reading the question over and over again cause its not clear most of the time. like todays quiz with that adjacency list representation of the topological search. I had no idea how to read that and took almost all of my 5 mins (lol) trying to understand what was goin on. I didnt understand it till one of the tutors explained it after the quiz was done.  and that wasnt in the video , how were we supposed to prepair for that? 

Last edited by mnava18 at 01:35 Nov 05, 2014.
rabbott
Posted 09:22 Nov 05, 2014 |

Thank you for your post. It's an excellent post. I want to encourage anyone who has a concern to express it here on the forum.

Here are a few thoughts about how I'm organizing the class.

WRT quizzes and grades:  

• Any question that a significant majority of students get wrong, won't be counted. The few students who get the question right will get extra credit for that question. 

• In computing a grade at the end of the term, the quiz scores will be normalized as a percent of the maximum possible score. (So quizzes with different numbers of questions will not count differently.) More importantly to you, the maximum possible score will be the score achieved by the 95th percentile student. There are approximately 60 students in the two sections combined. The 95th percentile score will be the score on the fourth-highest scoring quiz. That is, the top three (5%) quiz scores will be ignored, and the next highest quiz score will be taken as the maximum for percentage purposes. Students with higher scores will get percentages over 100%.

• The final grades will be curved up as needed so that no more than approximately 10% will get a grade of less than C. The 10% is not a fixed number. If everyone in the class does well, I'll be happy to give everyone a high grade. The 10% is not an exact number either. It may be that a few more than 10% do not get a grade of C.

More generally my goal is for you understand the material. Looking up the answer to a quiz question and writing down what you find does not constitute understanding. I believe that the only way to understand something is to think about it. I've been adjusting the difficulty of the quizzes and exercises in an attempt to encourage thinking -- and discourage rote memorization and looking up answers without thinking about them.

The work at the start of the term was probably too easy in this regard. Perhaps the past couple of weeks may have been too hard. I'll do my best to adjust. In making these adjustments I have to distinguish between asking too much of the class and the class not doing enough work. If the class does poorly because you do not make enough of an effort, that does not mean that I have been asking too much. So let me know if you put in the full 8 hours outside class and still find the work too demanding.  

From now on, I'll be expecting you to review the wiki page before the first class session. If I hadn't made that clear, I apologize. If you have questions about what's on the wiki page, please post a note on the forum or raise them in the Monday session with Kirti and Lincoln.

For this week, you should think about Kosaraju's algorithm between now and Thursday's class. You should start the implementation before class. Don't wait until the class to start thinking about it. Use the class time to refine you knowledge and to deal with problems you encountered in implementing it. 

Last edited by rabbott at 18:12 Nov 05, 2014.