reset password
rabbott
Posted 13:22 Oct 31, 2014 |

At the beginning of the term we promised you some extra credit assignments. So far there has been only one. I would like to create the position of extra credit supervisor. This would be a student in the class who is interested in exploring the material in more depth and who has the time to evaluate extra credit submissions.

If someone volunteers for that position (and I accept that person) we would operate as follows.

I would assign additional extra credit problems. These would be mainly programming assignments like the first one. The extra credit supervisor would evaluate and grade the submissions (including the one from the first week, which hasn't yet been graded). He or she would also post a solution to the problem after the due date.

The person accepted for the job would be expected to participate in class as usual. In addition, that person would get an additional 25 points (out of 100) toward the final grade. Although the extra credit supervisor would not be excused from doing the regular class work the expectation is that s/he would almost certainly receive an A in the class.

Please send me a message (Russ.Abbott@gmail.com) if you are interested.

G190852562
Posted 23:15 Oct 31, 2014 |

That's a lot of points!

Are those 25 on top of the ones for essentially doing every extra credit problem?

rabbott
Posted 23:24 Oct 31, 2014 |

Yes, it's a lot of points. It will be a fair amount of work -- if people submit extra credit problems.

The idea is that the person (or people, it can be done by a group of people) is/are interested in working on the material. I believe that anyone who has the interest and makes the effort deserves credit for doing so and deserves an A in the class. The only reason to put it in terms of points is to make it clear that this is not intended to substitute for doing the regular work in the class. 

I would like to think that the person or people who volunteer will not attempt to use it to game the system and get an easier A. Unfortunately, too often that's what happens. Putting it in terms of points is one way to try to protect against that.