reset password
rabbott
Posted 13:17 Oct 29, 2014 |

I know that many of you want to spend more time working on the CS 312 material. We have arranged it so that you can.

There will be extra voluntary sessions Monday and Thursday (starting tomorrow) in ET C255E (off the Open Access Lab) from 3:15 to 4:15. The Monday session will be devoted to the videos for the coming week. The Thursday session will be devoted to the exercise material for the week and to material from previous weeks.

G190852562
Posted 09:20 Oct 30, 2014 |

Thanks Dr.Abbott, I know many of us really need this supplemental information since not many people are doing well on the quizzes. But it seems as if the morning section gets the "short end of the stick" since the sessions are after class(after we took the quizzes). Seems as if its even more reason that the afternoon section will do better, since they will have the supplemental information before taking their quiz. 

Go easy on the morning section.

rabbott
Posted 10:11 Oct 30, 2014 |

A catch-up session is much less constructive than a session that lets you get ahead of the work. Come to the Monday session, talk about the videos, and be prepared for the in-class exercises. If you watch the videos and think about them in advance there should be no need for catching up. 

You have no homework other than watching the videos. Since this is a 4 unit class you should be spending 8 hours out of class watching the videos, thinking about the issues they raise, and understanding the reasons for missed questions on quizzes.

• If you have questions about the videos, please post them to the forum. The fact that no one has done that suggests that you aren't spending enough time on the videos! 
  • If you don't understand why you got a quiz question wrong, post a question to the forum. There have been only one or two of these. 

My guess is that anyone who does the appropriate outside work will do well on the quizzes. Try it and let me know.

The Growth Mindset experiments demonstrate that hard work leads to success -- not that doing as little work as possible leads to success.

Most of you work on the exercises in class. That's good. But many of you come to class unprepared. That's not good. Come prepared and then work on the exercises. You will do well.

Last edited by rabbott at 10:28 Oct 30, 2014.