reset password
rabbott
Posted 20:56 Oct 23, 2014 |

The aggregate scores for this week are posted. I would rate them as only moderate. It's good that many or you are getting all or all-but-one right on the quizzes. It's not good that many of you aren't.

It's disturbing that so many people got on 1, 2, or 3 questions right on the preliminary quiz first thing Tuesday. That preliminary quiz tests whether you watched the videos and paid any attention at all. Anyone how does that should have no trouble getting all 5 questions correct. The fact that there were so many poor scores means that too many of you either didn't watch the videos or didn't pay attention as you watched. 

At the start of the class we watched a video on the Growth Mindset. The message from that video was that you can succeed if you work hard. It wasn't that you can succeed without trying -- or as many people seem to think you can succeed by looking up the answer while taking the quizzes.

The quizzes don't require significant computation. There is no reason for them to take more than 1 minute per question. So from now on the time allowed will be significantly shorter. The intent of the quizzes is to determine what you know, not to determine whether you can Google the answer during the quiz.

If you haven't done so up til now, resolve to put some effort into the class for the rest of the term. Watch the videos in advance. If you have questions, post them to the forum. Come to class prepared to explore the material in more depth. Don't come to class with the expectation that you can be unprepared and learn enough in class to get through the quizzes.

mnava18
Posted 21:54 Oct 23, 2014 |

i watch and take notes on every video and i feel that they dont do  enough to explain everything.  they dont go into depth about the stuff we get tested on and the guy who makes those videos doesnt explain very well. and i know im not the only one who feels this way because all of the groups ive been in say this as well. I ooften find myself looking at youtube for answers after watching the lecutures because he doesnt cleary explain everything, his lectures seem more tailored for people who are already experienced with this subject and not for people who are learning it for the first time.

Last edited by mnava18 at 21:55 Oct 23, 2014.
omizi
Posted 22:36 Oct 23, 2014 |

I hate the groups I wish he would Just Lecture The Groups should be just for lab not the whole class period. We need his input

G190852562
Posted 21:38 Oct 24, 2014 |

Can you give us our quiz scores already, so we can feel bad about ourselves. Also can you display the quizzes so we can see look them over. 

G190852562
Posted 18:35 Oct 25, 2014 |

I don't get it why the professor is complaining about the scores when actually a lot of people are trying. I don't know what he expects if he doesn't teach the class. If he expects us to understand everything from the videos, that's not going to happen because many times I've been confused about stuff the guy is talking about, but guess what? I can't ask any questions because it's a damn video, not a real professor I can ask questions if I need help with anything. The TA's in the classroom help more than the professor, and when the professor decides to "help" with your questions, most of the time he just makes you feel dumb and makes you regret even asking him anything because the way he replies to you makes you feel like you're bothering him and makes you feel dumb. We paid for a class, not an online course. If I wanted to watch pointless videos I would have done it a long time ago instead of taking this class.

mnava18
Posted 18:58 Oct 25, 2014 |

yep , if you and your group dont get it . your pretty much screwed. Theres not enough time to work out the laundry list of group work we get ,,which pretty much screws you over for the quiz. not to mention weve got 4 times the quizs now and we still only get to drop 2

G190852562
Posted 19:41 Oct 25, 2014 |

This forum post smells awfully familiar to an old forum post about class video lectures...   

Last edited by G190852562 at 19:42 Oct 25, 2014.
omizi
Posted 01:25 Oct 26, 2014 |

he should really consider Lecturing... I think hes trying to teach us a different Lesson by doing the whole group thing which I respect but that's not sufficient if ur going to test us on Algorithms which is a very complex subject......with all due respect

G190852562
Posted 11:26 Nov 04, 2014 |

That last quiz was hard