reset password
sya
Posted 19:37 Oct 10, 2014 |

I am really curious as to why everyone chose Computer Science as their major here. Is it only for the money? Good at math? Want to become and entrepreneur? Start a business? Make an App?

....dare i say.... FOR FUN??

If you want to know why I am taking it, just ask : )

-Shayan

avilla82
Posted 20:17 Oct 10, 2014 |

Well, I chose CS just because of how diverse and unique the field is. As i've seen in my few weeks here at CSULA, a lot of people do CS for game design, other for programming software, and others for web design. This field is growing quickly and changing and theres always room for improvement. Thats what I like about this field, itll always surprise us. what about you? 

burnie022
Posted 09:13 Oct 11, 2014 |

I chose CS as sort of a fallback from electrical engineering due to it being a bit too much for me. I also chose it because I am good with math and enjoy working on computers. It also looked like a good choice to me because of the growth rate of the field. I'm still not sure of what kind of job i can get with this sort of degree, but I'm sure there will be many different kinds of job available that could use a computer science major. So far, CS seems to be the major that has peaked my interest a bit more.

actoomasi
Posted 10:34 Oct 11, 2014 |

Computer Science was my secondary major. Civil Engineering was my primary major, but when I looked into it more, I realized that  I was not going to enjoy it. I decided to try CS out because I noticed that I actually enjoy computers and I grew up around them. My brother was also a CS major and I was used to watching him and would constantly ask questions about what he was doing. It is something that I have always had a secret interest in.  

Psiphon
Posted 10:45 Oct 11, 2014 |

Computer science is about thinking of the best way to solve a challenging problem and having the imagination to see the world differently more than it is about gaining a ticket to a job. These are some reasons why I chose CS major.

jonathanfunes
Posted 13:12 Oct 11, 2014 |

I chose computer science for the simple fact that technology is very interesting to me. In addition, I wanted to challenge myself with my education and the courses required for this degree do that. I feel if I complete this journey, I will be prepared for the job market.

ryanazem
Posted 13:56 Oct 11, 2014 |

I chose CS because I've been interested in computers all my life. I enjoyed taking apart my HP desktop at a young age just to see the components inside. I started teaching myself about a variety of different things as I grew older. It wasn't until doing 2 and half years of graphic design did I realize that CS was a better major for me lol. I was good at GD but it was more of a hobby. On top of that CS is a growing field with nearly endless possibilities. I had to work on my math a lot but it's been worth it.

Portugalchris
Posted 14:38 Oct 11, 2014 |

I choose CS as my major because it is was one of the first class that I genuinely was interested in. I would usually spend more time then need to refine the assignments I had in my AP CS class back in high school. Other then that I've also always loved video games so the idea of have a degree that would help me get to understand the programming behind them sound great.

r3lek
Posted 15:29 Oct 11, 2014 |

I chose a CS major because of how rapidly technology is evolving and i want to be part of that change into the future.

jc1203181
Posted 18:02 Oct 11, 2014 |

The reason I chose CS is because I want to learn how to program computers and the different languages that are available in the computer language. Programming games would also be an awesome idea in the future because I always loved computer gaming.

sya
Posted 18:23 Oct 11, 2014 |
actoomasi wrote:

....I decided to try CS out because I noticed that I actually enjoy computers and I grew up around them. ...

May I ask how old you are?

-Shayan

Last edited by sya at 18:29 Oct 11, 2014.
sya
Posted 18:29 Oct 11, 2014 |
ryanazem wrote:

I chose CS because I've been interested in computers all my life. I enjoyed taking apart my HP desktop at a young age just to see the components inside. I started teaching myself about a variety of different things as I grew older. It wasn't until doing 2 and half years of graphic design did I realize that CS was a better major for me lol. I was good at GD but it was more of a hobby. On top of that CS is a growing field with nearly endless possibilities. I had to work on my math a lot but it's been worth it.

I also am doing graphic design, being self taught (except 2 classes :P) i was doing it for fun for my music/art/film projects and friends, as well as freelance work. Graphic Design is an amazing field! Design in general is such a soothing field to be involved in, as it has helped organize and shift my mind as well as grow.CS however seems so much more infinite than that...

-Shayan Sya

Last edited by sya at 18:30 Oct 11, 2014.
sya
Posted 18:35 Oct 11, 2014 |
Psiphon wrote:

Computer science is about thinking of the best way to solve a challenging problem and having the imagination to see the world differently more than it is about gaining a ticket to a job. These are some reasons why I chose CS major.

You are thinking my thoughts Psiphon. That is the primary reason I chose this direction in life. It seems as if it will morph my brain into such a better organ. I will be able to experience life much more diversely

sya
Posted 18:59 Oct 11, 2014 |
avilla82 wrote:

Well, I chose CS just because of how diverse and unique the field is. As i've seen in my few weeks here at CSULA, a lot of people do CS for game design, other for programming software, and others for web design. This field is growing quickly and changing and theres always room for improvement. Thats what I like about this field, itll always surprise us. what about you? 

Yes, i definitely agree with you avilla82. This invention transcends so many fields of study. Both in understanding as well as in simply finding a job in. I love how it applies to every aspect of my life as it will help me improve, simply as Psiphon said, the way I solve a challenging problem or having the imagination to se the world differently.

I am mainly involved in the arts. I play music (www.candylord.de) as well as do graphic design (www.syadsgn.com) and film.

I felt that CS would help me in all those fields, not necessarily in a creative way, but more in a structural way.

All this will allow me to become a more balanced being :)

-Sya 

kperez59
Posted 20:01 Oct 11, 2014 |

The reason i chose CS is because I enjoy computers I grew up around them. I also want to learn how to program them and how they work.

mdeltor3
Posted 23:24 Oct 11, 2014 |

To obtain a skill that very few have and difficult. Everyone uses smartphones and computers so why not jump into that just more in depth. 

xklaymanx
Posted 14:25 Oct 12, 2014 |

I chose CS because i wanted to learn more about computers, how they work, and coding. I was always interested about how computers are built and how they operated.

Ethanxo4
Posted 12:08 Oct 20, 2014 |

Computer Science... where to begin? A field that expands far and wide and leaves us questioning what potentials lay ahead. I have used computers since I was a wee lad, and I always enjoyed their presence, whether it be for computer games, the internet, or helpful software. I've always been interested in the "dream machine" that is the computer. My brother made me my own computer a few years ago, which only pushed my interest for computers further.

When I was pursued to ask what I wanted to do as a trade, I was uncertain, since I have always had some form of interest in technology. I was primarily thinking mechanical engineering, but I wasn't sure that that was the field that I really wanted to go down in. I questioned what I really liked, and I felt like I always had some sort of affinity towards robots, androids, and cyborgs. I do have a love for science fiction, but I feel that these concepts of technology can be revolutionary and can benefit humankind, as well as just generate something beautiful and perhaps bring peace to the world through the help it can bring to others.

When I thought about it, it was robot/android/cyborg thing that I was really interested into, so then I considered maybe biomedical engineering, but then I thought, "I want to create the 'soul' of the robot. The 'soul' of the machine." That's where the programming comes in, yes? Artificial Intelligence. That was it. Since that discovery, I believed that Computer Science was the slice of pie I wanted a part. In the end, if AI is something that I don't want to do, the beauty of CS is that it is a helpful field that can be used in many ways almost anywhere, so I feel there is something I can do to help other people one way or another.

rdunnin
Posted 19:59 Jan 07, 2015 |

Thanks for making this assignment easy! The main reason I chose Computer Science as my major is the huge job pool that exists for it. I love computers and the programs that go into them as much as the next CS major, but the main importance in this world and the reason we attend college, I think, is to get our selves a well paying job. And since computers are always going to be needed, I don't think that this job pool will be as impacted as others. Simply put: Its a good major to get a job in and I like computers.

salleyn2
Posted 10:19 Jan 17, 2015 |

I chose computer science because I have always been fascinated with technology, and one technology that I love the most is video games. I hope to have the chance to someday being greater innovations to gaming technology, and develop games that will forever change the industry.     

-Shafiq

ahnman341
Posted 17:02 Sep 06, 2015 |

I'm good at math and I started programming in high school.  Thought it'd be a good fit.

I also switched from in from an Economics program.  I really liked the math in Econ but I wasn't particularly interested in the economics part of my major. 

Financial reasons too?  Engineering related work makes money.  I have to please my inner desire to be "rich".  C.R.E.A.M.