reset password
aaleman11
Posted 23:12 Oct 08, 2014 |

Obviously, the more knowledge and experience, the better the chance at a internship. But at what point in our academic careers should we start looking? Maybe what classes need to be taken before applying, or what languages or experiences should we look into that will help speed up our internship seeking opportunities. Basically, how early can we start trying to get real world experience.

scastro
Posted 17:29 Oct 09, 2014 |

You can start as early as possible, there are tons and tons of internships, some for the summer others that are year around and they will have different requirements depending on their topic and where they are being offered. I did an internship just after taking an intro to CS and Object oriented C++ but only got the position because a very good reference. 

The work we did ended up being done is Java and Java 3d which I had not worked with previously. But with the two month internship I had a couple of weeks to teach myself some java since it is highly documented and very similar to C++ syntax.

Some internships will be directed toward Junior/senior level programmers, but most I have seen will be working in groups, many times with students from several different majors not just Computer Science or engineering. 

To some it all up, its never too early to apply! but if you get it be ready to work and learn on your own! 

As a bonus incentive I have noticed most, if not all internships in CS field are PAID, and it never hurts to have some professional level work to add to your portfolio.