reset password
nextmatrixman
Posted 18:25 Oct 08, 2014 |

The wifi signal in A 309 was noticeably weak during the lap session today, which in turn more or less affected the lab completion speed since looking up java methods and syntax online is extremely slow, and the lap computer had to be used. I've checked with students around me and have confirmed that all of us were experiencing the same issue.

Perhaps it's a good idea to have IT staff check the wifi connectivity in the classroom before the next lab since it's very important that we're able to use our own machines to complete the labs.

cysun
Posted 20:07 Oct 08, 2014 |

I've reported it to our IT people. I don't know if they can do anything about it though as it may be controlled by ITS and anything involving ITS takes forever. Until then, you can try using a lab computer to do web search and so on and using your laptop for coding. You can copy over the code with a flash drive when it's time to upload code to CSNS or CS3.

cysun
Posted 11:50 Oct 09, 2014 |

As I suspected, the college IT people can't do anything about the wireless network. The request was forwarded to ITS Help Desk. We'll see what happens.

nextmatrixman
Posted 17:17 Oct 09, 2014 |

Thank you for following up with the issue! :)

(If the issue persists) A wild thought, since the land-lines are working properly, is it possible to extend the CAT5 cables and connect them to our laptops? I know using the lap computers to do searching and uploading our files can be our last resort, but it's fair to look at all possibilities before that.

cysun
Posted 17:28 Oct 09, 2014 |
nextmatrixman wrote:

Thank you for following up with the issue! :)

(If the issue persists) A wild thought, since the land-lines are working properly, is it possible to extend the CAT5 cables and connect them to our laptops? I know using the lap computers to do searching and uploading our files can be our last resort, but it's fair to look at all possibilities before that.

I think those cables are pretty short. If you force it you may break something, so please don't do it (or at least be careful when you try).

Last edited by cysun at 17:28 Oct 09, 2014.
xytian
Posted 19:47 Oct 09, 2014 |

Also there may be restrictions on the number of MAC addresses that can connect via those ports (you will learn in CS447 about switch port security).

It might help if you download the API docs to your computer.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/java-se-7-doc-download-435117.html

Last edited by xytian at 19:54 Oct 09, 2014.
cysun
Posted 13:16 Oct 10, 2014 |

ITS has installed a new access point in A309. I tried it with my cell phone and it was much better than before. I have to give props to ITS for handling this so quickly (now if only they can install one in my office ...).

nextmatrixman
Posted 13:27 Oct 10, 2014 |

Glad to know it's been fixed, and hope they can fix the connectivity in your office as well! :D

Thank you very much Dr. Sun!