reset password
hueyphan
Posted 20:45 Oct 07, 2014 |

I wonder if we have any class about making game?  If I get B.A. degree in Computer Science, could I get a job in the gaming industry? Or is it require another degree?

jbattini
Posted 12:02 Oct 08, 2014 |

I think in one of the upper division classes, we learn how to make an MMO game so that should be exciting ! :D 

Juan_Briceno
Posted 20:51 Oct 08, 2014 |

If that is true, then it would make all of this work for CS worth it.

deathmetal
Posted 11:17 Oct 10, 2014 |

this is actually what i am trying to do with my degree but im not sure. what classes i should be taken. im kind of saddened that c++ is not the main language at csula.

sya
Posted 19:32 Oct 10, 2014 |

If you go to page 13 in the handbook there is a class called "Topics in Advanced Computer Science", CS454. That class is geared towards multimedia, which has several different topics including gaming.

http://www.calstatela.edu/sites/default/files/groups/Department%20of%20Computer%20Science/undergraduate_student_handbook.pdf

i have a background in design, and am not necessarily trying to do gaming (only mobile and 2D stuff), so it really depends on what kind of games you are trying to make.

ringworld
Posted 21:22 Oct 10, 2014 |

It depends what you want to do with games and what you are knowledgeable about. Do you want to work on physics engines and learn all about how to efficiently draw graphics to the screen. Do you want to work on a realistic set of behaviors for NPCs to make realistic characters. Design interfaces in games, etc. That will help you figure out what you will need to do to enter the game industry after graduating.

In graphics for example a CSULA alumni posted their masters degree thesis on realistic 3d grass rendering and is currently working in the industry. This is his personal website, I would highly recommend viewing his work http://illogictree.com/upload/site/LeeRealtimeGrassThesis.pdf 

Last edited by ringworld at 21:28 Oct 10, 2014.