reset password
jpascua
Posted 16:06 Oct 05, 2014 |

I'm not sure if it's just me but I feel that all the exercises on assignment #1 are too challenging. I'm not sure if we are to do outside research to complete these exercises but I feel that the lecture slides alone can't help.

This is due on Thursday right? Does the professor have more to cover?

hsanche3
Posted 16:20 Oct 05, 2014 |

the professor went over everything thats in the first week of the coursera website, if the slides dont help watch the videos

those slides are from the video but the guy in the video goes over them more than the professor did, maybe thatll help you understand

the hw problems can be done with what those videos shows you, you just need to know how to create values and functions

and everything else requires creating a function that does what the hw problem is asking

Rinchan7
Posted 16:26 Oct 05, 2014 |

I'm feeling this way too, I can see (and pretty sure I understand) what the functions are doing, but I'm having trouble writing them if that makes sense. Is this assignment due at midnight on Wednesday (Weds, 11:59pm) or tomorrow?

jpascua
Posted 16:34 Oct 05, 2014 |
Rinchan7 wrote:

I'm feeling this way too, I can see (and pretty sure I understand) what the functions are doing, but I'm having trouble writing them if that makes sense. Is this assignment due at midnight on Wednesday (Weds, 11:59pm) or tomorrow?

It should be posted on CSNS. I hope it's the latest day of the week because I emailed the professor and he said that he's going to check them on lab session. But we have labs on both days.

Posted 16:41 Oct 05, 2014 |

It's not just you feeling lost. To be honest, I don't see how the lecture slides or the videos would help one with this assignment. 

We are learning a brand new language, yet we have not even been taught how to make a hello world program. I'm not even talking about writing a function. 

I'm very comfortable to do these all in java but I have no clue about the Scala syntax whatsoever. Well, I don't know how I was supposed to know it all...

In my honest opinion, this class is not set up as one would expect. I mean come on, teach us the basics of the language and then expect us to code something in the language.

Posted 16:44 Oct 05, 2014 |

Oh and one more thing, if you all feel like lost, then get on your feet and say someone please. 

Seeing everyone in the class making a cool face I assume everyone knows how to this all with much easy. 

Any comments?

jpascua
Posted 16:48 Oct 05, 2014 |

Glad to know someone's on the same boat. lol

Rinchan7
Posted 17:02 Oct 05, 2014 |

I didn't make a confused face in class because I was downloading the Scala IDE (which I forgot to do before class) and then watching the videos. (Although I admit I assumed the same thing about everyone else making the cool face :P )

Check out the other tabs like Tools Setup on the website to see how to do "Hello Word" [it is near the bottom].

https://class.coursera.org/progfun-005/wiki/ToolsSetup

If it helps, what I got so far is, of the signature:

def example(x: Int, y:Int): Int = {

}

example => name of method

example(x:Int, y:Int) => parameters, if you are familiar with Java, think of example(int x, int y) 

def example(x: Int, y:Int): Int  => return type, think public int example(int x, int y)

def example(x: Int, y:Int): Int = {

blah blah blah blah blah

=> the stuff your method is supposed to do

Anybody else got other stuff?

I'm still a little of on Call By Name/ Call By Value (I think I got it though, I just need to keep reviewing until it sticks)

but I found: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13337338/call-by-name-vs-call-by-value-in-scala-clarification-needed

and I'm not sure I get def and var...is def for the definition of methods and var for variables?

jpascua
Posted 18:26 Oct 05, 2014 |

I believe def is for defining functions and val is for defining variables.