reset password
Anonymous
Posted 18:25 Mar 04, 2014 |

can anyone tell me why this method does not compile, the error says incompatible types and also highlights the parenthesis, but that is what the instructions tell us to do. also what is the String toString method supposed to do. is it supposed to return the game board(animations)

public int[] getFirstMoves() {
        return this.first_moves.toArray();;
    }

kknaur
Posted 18:47 Mar 04, 2014 |

I see two semicolons on the end, is that it?

Eric Liao
Posted 18:51 Mar 04, 2014 |
2 semicolons is fine. What you are missing is that I changed first_moves and second_moves as different types, which is not String anymore. You have to change it to List of integer in order to make it to compile. In other word, check the detail of the skeleton code.
Anonymous
Posted 19:33 Mar 04, 2014 |

sorry about the two semicolons. I have this instance variables  private List<Integer> first_moves;
private List<Integer> second_moves; and on my constructor this    this.first_moves = new ArrayList<Integer>();
        this.second_moves = new ArrayList<Integer>();  and I still get the same error.

Eric Liao
Posted 20:06 Mar 04, 2014 |

Sorry, I just found out that Java is not capable convert List of integer to array of integer by it's method toArray() from [this post]. So I fixed my template code to do convert using loop now. Please check the description again.

rabbott
Posted 22:15 Mar 04, 2014 |

We should switch to Scala

List(1, 2, 3).toArray          //> res0: Array[Int] = Array(1, 2, 3)

Eric Liao
Posted 23:01 Mar 04, 2014 |

I would prefer Python more!

list = [1, 2 ,3]

done!

There is no difference between array and list :D Essentially, everything is like list if you define the item with []