reset password
Mike
Posted 16:12 Feb 06, 2014 |

Was curious about how many people were able to complete both parts of the lab. Did you have enough time? Simple yes or no would suffice. 

baghumyan
Posted 16:17 Feb 06, 2014 |

Nope didn't even get a chance to look at part 2.

Last edited by baghumyan at 16:17 Feb 06, 2014.
Mike
Posted 16:48 Feb 06, 2014 |

Managed to get it done 40 minutes after the due time. >.<

Oh well...

Jordanton
Posted 16:58 Feb 06, 2014 |

It's just too long for me.

dominiquealexi
Posted 18:25 Feb 06, 2014 |

Couldn't get to part 2. 

mnava18
Posted 20:28 Feb 06, 2014 |

we never have enough  time for any of  labs lol ,  ive yet to complete a lab

omizi
Posted 21:25 Feb 06, 2014 |

labs are impossible lol

mnava18
Posted 21:34 Feb 06, 2014 |

Totally agree, Theses labs are really tough , maybe not for the other people whove been doin this for years, but somone like me whos only 4 clases into programing for the first time , there pretty hard. that coupled with not having enough time to finish really screws me over. i mean usually we get some guidance and help in other lab courses, but here if you dont understand  , your screwed. ive been getting through homeworks just fine and i like the lectures and understand them. but the labs are killing me

Last edited by mnava18 at 21:42 Feb 06, 2014.
busynerd
Posted 22:40 Feb 06, 2014 |

I agree. I did not finish lab3 either. 

New syntax/properties/methods with little practice with time constraint makes for a stressful afternoon in lab.

Lab seems to be more a quiz or test than a practice assignment with guidance..

afetiso
Posted 00:13 Feb 07, 2014 |

It is enough time, but the problem with take information from file, and when upload it to cs3 server still from me over 2-3 hours to solve.

afetiso
Posted 00:22 Feb 07, 2014 |

was enough time, but error reading the file and subsequent correction of the same server error took me a very long time, I stayed in the class until 6 pm, but still did all the assignments and mailed solutions, I understand that a little points taken away for being late, but what can you do, and the practical task is very useful, but not the easiest.

nahmed5
Posted 13:11 Feb 07, 2014 |

These labs are so difficult! Especially Lab 3 was a killer. I tried to do both, so none of them worked. I wish we were given an assignment on JSTL before the Lab. In that way, I'd have been more proficient on using it. The videos were uploaded on the 3rd & I had the lab on the 6th. I just didn't get enough time to get the hang of it.

mnava18
Posted 13:30 Feb 07, 2014 |

no reply? these labs are ridiculous. the friday class never gets extended time to turn in late labs like all the other classes, it being a friday class  , we also never get an equal opportunity to finish our labs like all the other sections. since our labs are on fridays , we cant just go get help from a tutor after and turn it in late because everything on campus is closed.  the way this class is structured doesnt work.  I mean today , were told 20 mins before class that were suppsed to have lab2 from last week done so we can continue off that. that would have been nice to know a couple days before for those of us who didnt finish it.  These labs are more stressful then they should be , we got no help or guidance on how to do anything. My time goes like this , i go to the lab. I get through what i can(which isnt much usually) , and then get it done with a tutor the next week. i usually finish the homeworks and labs outside of the lab time  and learn it from a tutor , but its a big waste of time since i dont get credit for it anyway.

nahmed5
Posted 13:38 Feb 07, 2014 |

My Lab 2 didn't work properly. So I knew that Lab 3, question 2 won't work either! & I didn't hear any announcement such that Lab 2 has to be finished in order for Lab 3 prior to the Lab class. I know, I should've finished it at home at least for practice but another course's Midterm took away the time. Still, I wish I knew.

kevinmowers@yahoo.com
Posted 15:11 Feb 07, 2014 |

Ya it was tough, I just finished part 1 right now

-_-

I'm starting part 2

We can't turn labs in late huh?

busynerd
Posted 15:17 Feb 07, 2014 |

I don't think late labs are accepted. Otherwise, I would have continued working on them. I don't think there's a difference in policy between Friday and other lab days. I'm in the Wednesday lab.

It would be nice to see the instructions prior to the labs so that us slower or less experienced programmers can volunteer more of our time to learn this material and be better prepared for it.

Adam Berman
Posted 19:54 Feb 07, 2014 |

I was able to finish lab 3 with ~30 seconds to spare.

I don't have a problem personally with the complexity of the labs, I just feel that timed programming assignments are antithetical to learning as well as being poor preparation for the real world. Certainly real-world programming involves deadlines, but surely most of those deadlines are on the order or days or weeks, not hours, and (I feel) that such a quick turnaround, even on relatively simple (as compared to "real-world" programming work) tasks makes for a lot more stress than there should be. This is all obviously my own opinion, but (if he has the time) I would certainly be interested to hear Prof. Sun's opinion.

Wednesday lab here, I think we're in the same boat as you Friday people. Lab 1 we got an extra 5 minutes to submit because some people hadn't submitted anything at the deadline, but it seems to be the policy that labs are to be finished in lab in the allotted time block.

mnava18
Posted 21:00 Feb 08, 2014 |
I remember reading somewere that we can submit late up to 2 days with penalty.
Last edited by mnava18 at 21:07 Feb 08, 2014.
xytian
Posted 12:55 Feb 10, 2014 |
mnava18 wrote:
I remember reading somewere that we can submit late up to 2 days with penalty.

You were reading it here:

http://csns.calstatela.edu/department/cs/forum/topic/view?id=4009406

It is for homework only.

For every lab the requirements stated that "late submission will not be accepted".

Last edited by xytian at 12:05 Feb 13, 2014.