reset password
hhuang30
Posted 14:02 Feb 05, 2014 |

Hi,

I am playing Course Planner by using JSP. And I created 2 normal java classes: CourseBean class to hold list of CourseEntry objects. And I put reading file to list<CouseEntry> part in the constructor of CourseBean. At the same time I am using CoursePlanner.jsp to do display work.

My question is, when I am trying to run CoursePlanner.jsp on the server, it always shows FileNotFoundException.

BTW, the implement file(undergra_courses.txt) is in the WEB-INF directory, and I am using

File file = new File( "/WEB-INF/undergrad_courses.txt" ); //this segment is in the constructor of CourseBean class.

So how to deal with it? Thank you in advance.

Hui

cysun
Posted 15:45 Feb 05, 2014 |

Because you don't have access to ServletContext in a bean, you can't use getRealPath() to convert a relative path to an absolute path, so you have to specify the absolute path for the file. On Windows it'd be something like new File("C:/CS320/courses.txt") (assuming the file is under a folder CS320 on the C drive), and on CS3 (which runs Linux), if you upload the file to the home directory of your account, it'd be something like new File("/home/cs320stu31/courses.txt"). Note that you have to change the path in the code before deploying it on CS3.

hhuang30
Posted 16:02 Feb 05, 2014 |

it works, thank you!

hhuang30
Posted 11:36 Feb 07, 2014 |

1. have been struggling with a parse question for a while,

If array (e.g. String[]) is got from param  expression, how to parse it to a list for the further use in JSP, can we use JSTL or EL? I tried fn library, but couldn't find solution

2. Another quick question, in JSP we can't declare a new variable, right? We can only use <c:set var="" value="" scope=""> to "assign" to a variable?

Thank you so much!

cysun
Posted 11:56 Feb 07, 2014 |
hhuang30 wrote:

1. have been struggling with a parse question for a while,

If array (e.g. String[]) is got from param  expression, how to parse it to a list for the further use in JSP, can we use JSTL or EL? I tried fn library, but couldn't find solution

2. Another quick question, in JSP we can't declare a new variable, right? We can only use <c:set var="" value="" scope=""> to "assign" to a variable?

Thank you so much!

1. I'm not sure if I understand the question. I assume you mean using the EL implicit object paramValues to get all the values of a request parameter (like course prerequisites in the homework). You can use <c:forEach> to iterate through them, e.g.

<c:forEach items="${paramValues.prereq}" var="prereq">...</c:forEach>

2. You cannot use EL to create new variables, but you can use <c:set> to create one.

hhuang30
Posted 12:11 Feb 07, 2014 |

1.  Right, that's my question, but I want to form a list with these String by using iteration. So I need a list type variable, right? Then that probably go to my second question 2

2. Is that possible to declare a new type of variable in JSP, like a list or an arraylist?

I know, by using <c:set var ="" value="" scope="">,we can create a variable in JSP, e.g. to create a list.

However,  we need value="${List}" to "assign" this list type list to var here.

And by using <c:set target ="" property="" value="">, we can set the value to a property in target.

So is that possible to create "total new " variable in JSP?

Sorry if my expression confused you, and thanks in advance~

cysun
Posted 12:24 Feb 07, 2014 |

Why do you want to create a List? In EL and JSTL, List<String> and String[] are handled in exactly the same way. Normally the advantage of List over array is that you can add new elements to a list, but you can't do that in JSP (with EL & JSTL) anyway so lists and arrays are the same.

I think maybe you are trying to do something like set prereq into a Course bean. You can do that with <jsp:setProperty>, but the prereq property must be an array, not List.

And also remember that EL & JSTL are not use for complex programming - there are lots thing they cannot do, and that's by design, because otherwise it becomes scripting elements again. After the MVC lecture next week it should become more clear.

hhuang30
Posted 12:27 Feb 07, 2014 |

Got u, thank you!