reset password
Anonymous
Posted 15:58 Dec 25, 2013 |

Merry Xmas everyone and happy holidays. I want to add to this thread because I hope it gets noticed. This is feedback gold for instructors. Please take note to what is being said here. This is the reality. I am not done with CS. I am determined to keep going but please be aware that the strategy used in the past was of little success. It's a shame bc it is a great subject. Please instructors, don't get so upset when asked questions. I mean we are students and were here to learn. Don't make us afraid to ask. Also, as noted many times, stop with those presentations. They are a ridiculous time Waster. I'd much rather be reading the book or practicing than having to listen to students nervously present. It doesn't help and would be much more beneficial to have some time to work on things that we can actually get help on. The labs are not sufficient, they are like programming tests. I would want to ask questions but the instructor would always turn me away. What the hell is that? Seriously, I want to learn but when doing these labs/hw I would feel compelled to finish rather than attain the programming skills we were supposively practicing. Please change it. The new quarter is coming up. Grades have been posted. CS instructors have yet to respond to this. Seriously, believe us, instead of questioning what were saying, come up with solutions. That's what programming is about, right? Solutions. Let's make it happen people. Let this new year be the start of a new and efficient year for cs teachers and students alike. Thank you. 

sgfakhro
Posted 18:18 Dec 25, 2013 |

Well, the instructors are told what to teach by the department, so they have very little say in what they teach during the class. I know this because I had a similar complaint during the quarter.

I think the class should be structured this way: Mondays (or Tuesdays) Review the homework and actually DO one or TWO homework problems from scratch so we can all see what the professors' process of mind is. Rather than going over the books slides during Mondays. I agree that this was a waste of time, and we could've just done this at home (which is what many of us were supposed to do).

And Wednesdays should remain as lab days with the Quiz in the beginning of the class. Although, in my class(Keenan's), this is the way things were done at the 2nd half of the quarter.

I also think that the labs should be accessible at home if we don't finish them. With one caveat, if you leave 30 minutes (or more) early, you cannot make revisions at home.

I think the reason the labs needed to be completed during class on the 2nd day of the week, was because in previous quarters, some students would simply not show up to the labs, and perhaps copy the work of someone else.

I spoke to Keenan about potentially restructuring the class this way. But of course he really can't do much in this case, it was up to the students to go to the chair of the Dept. and bring up these topics. But since I do not really have many acquaintances I never really got around to it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

sgfakhro
Posted 18:28 Dec 25, 2013 |

Also-

I cannot really relate to your problems with the professors since there were around 4 different prof's this quarter for 201.

Keenan definitely made himself available day and night to answer all questions, so I don't know about any of the other professors.

ThoughtGaze
Posted 21:47 Dec 25, 2013 |
sgfakhro wrote:

Well, the instructors are told what to teach by the department, so they have very little say in what they teach during the class. I know this because I had a similar complaint during the quarter.

I think the class should be structured this way: Mondays (or Tuesdays) Review the homework and actually DO one or TWO homework problems from scratch so we can all see what the professors' process of mind is. Rather than going over the books slides during Mondays. I agree that this was a waste of time, and we could've just done this at home (which is what many of us were supposed to do).

And Wednesdays should remain as lab days with the Quiz in the beginning of the class. Although, in my class(Keenan's), this is the way things were done at the 2nd half of the quarter.

I also think that the labs should be accessible at home if we don't finish them. With one caveat, if you leave 30 minutes (or more) early, you cannot make revisions at home.

I think the reason the labs needed to be completed during class on the 2nd day of the week, was because in previous quarters, some students would simply not show up to the labs, and perhaps copy the work of someone else.

I spoke to Keenan about potentially restructuring the class this way. But of course he really can't do much in this case, it was up to the students to go to the chair of the Dept. and bring up these topics. But since I do not really have many acquaintances I never really got around to it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Very well said!