reset password
rarroyo8
Posted 23:32 Oct 28, 2013 |

I'm a complete beginner. What's a good task to aim for when learning a programing language?

rpamula
Posted 13:03 Oct 29, 2013 |
rarroyo8 wrote:

I'm a complete beginner. What's a good task to aim for when learning a programing language?

If there is room in your schedule, register for CS190 (2 unit). It deals with beginning programming logic and builds small software applications (games) in an easy programming language.

khanglam314
Posted 17:07 Oct 29, 2013 |

I'm interested in this too. Do we need a permit to take this course??? Can I register for it on winter quarter??

h.sandra29
Posted 09:18 Nov 06, 2013 |

Is CS190 an option, or a requirement?

jayskin22
Posted 14:36 Jan 17, 2014 |

Is cs190 a required course for a CS major?

foxfiree
Posted 13:44 Jan 12, 2015 |

Is the class still available? (its not on GET)

ncortez7
Posted 14:44 Sep 28, 2015 |

Any basic language or object-oriented can do some fun stuff like making Hang Man, Black Jack or a guessing game (which would be the simplest). If you're practcing website development then try to duplicate some things that people made on cheap 90's looking websites. Just look for local businesses that often have outdated sites and try to duplicate some of the features while playing with CSS and a tad bit of HTML.

Summary

For Java, I'd go with the games mentioned earlier.

C++ could do the games too but with more monotonous work as it doesn't function using classes like Java.

C# would be fun to do the games with, or any program with repetitive functions or a program that reacts to constant changes in input.

CSS and HTML stick to copying older websites' features. Bit by bit look at how they were written in their source code and try to recreate it.

atigolo
Posted 12:36 Oct 01, 2015 |

Try building an address book application