reset password
rabbott
Posted 18:23 Apr 06, 2013 |

It looks like three people have registered for this class.  Here's how I would like to arrange things.

I'd like the three of you to get together and discuss the homework. You can do this either in person, via email, or even using this forum.

Let's also set up a regular time each week where the three of you meet with me to explain the homework.  We can do this either in person or via a Google Hangout.  Let me know what are possible times for the three of you to meet as a group.

After talking about th homework among yourselves you should be able to explain it to me. These explanations will be the basis of evaluation for CSULA, not the grades SFI gives you for the homework.

Each week I'll give you one of the following grades:

N - no credit for the week. I'll expect you to make another appointment and try again. To get credit for the class, all weeks must have grades other than N. N grades do not count against you if you improve them later.

C - credit for the week. If you receive all C grades your course grade will be B.

E - excellent explanation. If you receive all E grades, your course grade will be A. (Combinations of and E will be averaged to a grade in the A - Brange.)

linacute
Posted 20:29 Apr 06, 2013 |

This is Na Li.     

That means all three of us has to be available? 

I have 20 hours of work, and I am taking 6 classes including this one, So my schedule is very packed..

only time I am free is 

Wednesday: 12-1:10 4:00-5:00

Friday 4:00-5:00

I don't know about others yet. But here is the time I am available, I don't know which time and in what way you guys prefer?

Please let me know, Thank you

linacute
Posted 21:04 Apr 06, 2013 |

by the way, I am assuming only explain the grading part, since the ungraded part has the solution video already.

Is that Correct?

rabbott
Posted 22:00 Apr 06, 2013 |

I can meet with you any of those times. It would be nice if the three of us could meet together, but it's ok if I have to meet with you each separately. Let me know.

Re explaining. You should be able to explain everything, including stuff that the video explains. That should be easier!

linacute wrote:

This is Na Li.     

That means all three of us has to be available? 

I have 20 hours of work, and I am taking 6 classes including this one, So my schedule is very packed..

only time I am free is 

Wednesday: 12-1:10 4:00-5:00

Friday 4:00-5:00

I don't know about others yet. But here is the time I am available, I don't know which time and in what way you guys prefer?

Please let me know, Thank you

Last edited by rabbott at 00:49 Apr 07, 2013.
dedward
Posted 00:46 Apr 07, 2013 |

Hi Dr. Abbott,

Hi also to Na and YehCheng and other students in this course. Thank you for your message and invitation to this forum.

This quarter I mostly have morning and late evening classes -- so I'm available all days 12 - 6pm.

Based on Na Li's schedule Wednesday: 12-1:10 (or 4:00-5:00) might be the best time to meet.

Only this week I have an off-campus appointment all day Wednesday April 10, so if we wanted to meet this week it might have to be any other day but Wednesday.

linacute
Posted 20:05 Apr 08, 2013 |

As Dave said, I assume this Friday 4-5? the best time?

I get out work at 3:30,  and I have class at 5:10. I can meet anytime between that with the professor.

Let me know what you guys think? 

ps: anyone wants to meet before that to discuss about the first couple weeks hwk? let me know, I can meet Thursday after my work. 

Thank you

rabbott
Posted 20:43 Apr 08, 2013 |
I'm happy to have us meet in the evenings or weekend via Google Hangout. Does that make it easier?
linacute
Posted 20:56 Apr 08, 2013 |

Sure, we can do that! But I've never used that before, we will see how it goes. 

I will try to contact the other 2 members,  We'll let you know the time we can do the google hang out.

Thanks,

Na Li

linacute
Posted 20:56 Apr 08, 2013 |

Sure, we can do that! But I've never used that before, we will see how it goes. 

I will try to contact the other 2 members,  We'll let you know the time we can do the google hang out.

Thanks,

Na Li

dedward
Posted 21:26 Apr 08, 2013 |

Yes, I agree the Google Hangout "sounds" easier, although I have not used it either. It would be interesting to see how it works.

rabbott
Posted 21:32 Apr 08, 2013 |

You all will probably have to join Google+. Other than that, it's easy. It's like Skype. But it allows multiple people to be connected at once, and it allows any person to share his screen with the group.  That way, someone can demonstrate a running program to everyone else.