reset password
rabbott
Posted 11:22 Apr 03, 2013 |

I'd like to organize our work in Functional programming as follows.

I've created a spread sheet of study groups (attached). Each week has two study groups. The composition of the groups switches from week to week. Each week, each study group should arrange among themselves to get together and discuss the homework assignment for the week. (This week you should discuss the Week 1 assignment, which is due to Coursera this Sunday.)

The following week I'd like each of you to explain the homework to me.  (The first explanations will be next week.) These explanations (not your Coursera grades) will be the basis of evaluation for CSULA. I'd like to do these explanations either in person at school or via Google Hangout.   I will be available at school Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday afternoons and via Google hangout fairly flexibly, including evenings. In both cases, though, we should arrange meeting times in advance. (We'll have to experiment with Google Hangout the first few time. It's something like Skype in that you can see the people you are talking too. You can also share screens. You may have have to join Google+ to use it.)

I'll leave it to you to tell me when you want to do your explanations. (It will be better if we settle on a regular time for each person each week.) You can schedule the explanations either individually or in groups, but with no more than 4 people in a group.  If you do the explanations in a group, each person is responsible for the entire assignment. The point is not to split up the exercises among the group. The group is simply to support each other so you won't feel that you are facing me all alone. I may ask anyone in the group to explain an exercise--and perhaps to explain an exercise that someone else already explained. Let's schedule up to 1 1/2 hours for each explanation session. (Individual sessions will probably be shorter.)

Each week I'll give you one of the following grades:

N - no credit for the week. I'll expect you to make another appointment and try again. To get credit for the class, all weeks must have grades other than N. N grades do not count against you if you improve them later.

C - credit for the week. If you receive all C grades your course grade will be B.

E - excellent explanation. If you receive all E grades, your course grade will be A. (Combinations of C and E will be averaged to a grade in the A - B range.)

Attachments:
Last edited by rabbott at 18:15 Apr 03, 2013.
rabbott
Posted 18:13 Apr 03, 2013 |

Here's Google's into page on Hangouts.