reset password
rabbott
Posted 21:04 Mar 09, 2013 |

Prof. Rao will not be back to complete CS 461. Here's what I propose to do.

You may have until the end of finals week (midnight March 24) to complete your project but only on condition that you demonstrate significant progress in a status report next Saturday. If you do not present a status report next Saturday (March 16) that shows significant progress your project will be due by midnight March 17.

rabbott
Posted 17:28 Mar 10, 2013 |

P.S. I do not consider running a data set through Weka to be significant progress. Significant progress requires some added value that you contribute and that holds promise of  yielding additional results by the end of finals week. This may involve some way of looking at the data that you developed and that may provide some insight into underlying patterns or structures. For example, if you are working with the Connect-4 data set you might write code that looks for patterns in the data and determines whether the existence of those patterns predicts a win.  We talked about some possible patterns two weeks ago.  Other things you might do involves combining multiple data sets, e.g., by using using Google Refine, or displaying a data set using Google Chart Tools in a way that suggests questions that aren't obvious from just looking at the raw numbers. 

I'd consider running a data set through Weka, a C level project. It's not failing, but it's not especially creative or interesting either. If you do no more than that, you should finish that work by next Sunday.

Last edited by rabbott at 21:26 Mar 10, 2013.
pateln04
Posted 18:37 Mar 11, 2013 |

So is the course grade based on the project.  Are we still having a final and is the homework we have done relevant.

rabbott
Posted 19:40 Mar 11, 2013 |

The course grade will be computed using these weights.

Homework 1, 2, 3: 11% each (total: 33%)
Midterm 1, 2: 20% each (total: 40%)
Project: 27%                                              
Total: 100%

There will be no final.