reset password
rpamula
Posted 12:06 Feb 05, 2013 |

Looking for upper division Computer Science courses you can take on your own for CSULA credit?  Here are two.

Introduction to Complex Systems

Offered by: Santa Fe Institute. 

Instructor: Melanie Mitchel, Professor Computer Science, Portland State University.

Prerequisites: None indicated (Students should have completed CS312 & CS386)

Schedule: 11 weeks beginning this week. Register now!

CSULA equivalence: CS454Cplx to be offered Summer 2013

Functional programming

Offered by: Coursera 

Instructor: Martin Odersky, Professor Computer Science, EPFS, Lausanne, Switzerland.

Prerequisites: A year of Java programming (Students should have completed CS203)

Schedule: 7 weeks beginning March 25. (You have a month and half to think about it)

CSULA equivalence: CS332F to be offered Fall 2013

• Students should complete the courses on their own. A Complex Systems Google Group has been set up so that CSULA students can interact with each other about the courses. If there is sufficient demand, in-person group meetings will be scheduled. A CS faculty coordinator will participate in the Google Groups and in-person meetings to answer questions and help clarify issues as needed.
  • To get CSULA credit:
    • Complete the online course and receive a certificate of completion.
    • Register for the associated CS course when it is offered.
    • Meet with the instructor for the CS course and demonstrate your knowledge of the course material by explaining your work.
  • CS faculty coordinator: Russ Abbott
Last edited by rabbott at 09:58 Feb 08, 2013.
JackStrauss
Posted 06:36 Feb 06, 2013 |

Is there a fee to take these courses?  If so, can these courses by funded through CSULA Financial Aid, or do we have to pay out of pocket?  

I just registered, and the course appear to be free, so it looks like I'll add these to my schedule. 

Regards.

Last edited by JackStrauss at 08:47 Feb 06, 2013.
rabbott
Posted 15:07 Feb 06, 2013 |

There is no fee for these courses.