reset password
wsakura
Posted 23:18 Jan 24, 2013 |

My add reward page gives me a null pointer exception when it's on the cs3 server, but it doesn't in eclipse. I'm not sure why. My other pages work fine.

I've already tried doing a touch on the web.xml file and it didn't help, so I reuploaded the web.xml file, but that didn't help either.

talisunep
Posted 23:19 Jan 24, 2013 |

Make sure web.xml is under the WEB-INF folder and not the root folder

wsakura
Posted 23:21 Jan 24, 2013 |
talisunep wrote:

Make sure web.xml is under the WEB-INF folder and not the root folder

I've checked and it's in the right place.

talisunep
Posted 23:24 Jan 24, 2013 |

i would suggest re testing you code in eclipse again then removing all files from server and upload all classes along with web.xml file again.... 

wsakura
Posted 23:24 Jan 24, 2013 |

Do you think eclipse is just being more tolerant of my mistake somewhere?

wsakura
Posted 23:25 Jan 24, 2013 |
talisunep wrote:

i would suggest re testing you code in eclipse again then removing all files from server and upload all classes along with web.xml file again.... 

Alright thanks. I'll try that.

wsakura
Posted 23:39 Jan 24, 2013 |

I can't get it working, so I'll just upload it the way it is. Thanks a lot for the help though.

JackStrauss
Posted 00:06 Jan 25, 2013 |
wsakura wrote:

My add reward page gives me a null pointer exception when it's on the cs3 server, but it doesn't in eclipse. I'm not sure why. My other pages work fine.

I've already tried doing a touch on the web.xml file and it didn't help, so I reuploaded the web.xml file, but that didn't help either.

I ran into a similar problem where my files would work on Eclipse, but not on CS3.  It's annoying, lol.

cysun
Posted 09:42 Jan 25, 2013 |

A common cause for this is hard-coding project path in URL. Note that your project may be called "hw1" in Eclipse, but on the server it's "cs320stu##". This problem usually causes 404 error, not null pointer though.

Null pointer exception should be easy to debug. Just read the error message carefully.

And yes, Eclipse is indeed more tolerant of errors than CS3.

wsakura
Posted 18:02 Jan 25, 2013 |
cysun wrote:

A common cause for this is hard-coding project path in URL. Note that your project may be called "hw1" in Eclipse, but on the server it's "cs320stu##". This problem usually causes 404 error, not null pointer though.

Null pointer exception should be easy to debug. Just read the error message carefully.

And yes, Eclipse is indeed more tolerant of errors than CS3.

Ok. Thanks Professor.

wsakura
Posted 18:03 Jan 25, 2013 |
interweblulz wrote:
wsakura wrote:

I ran into a similar problem where my files would work on Eclipse, but not on CS3.  It's annoying, lol.

I see. Were you able to fix it?