reset password
dcaldwell.cs
Posted 16:56 Oct 10, 2012 |

I just wanted to ask if it were possible for anyone to type out the description of exercise 4.26 from the homework. I don't have the book yet and I realized that I copied down the wrong problem from the bookstore. If anyone could please copy the description here that would be great (I don't live close to campus so it would take me a while to get it), thanks,

D

talisunep
Posted 17:28 Oct 10, 2012 |

question 1 (i need to confirm if this is 3.24 or 3.26)

Question:

the commissioner of the professional sports league has asked you to design a database to hold information on the teams in the league, the players who have played for the teams, the position, that they played,. and what was the result of each game. this database will hold information over many years possibly back to the beginning of league. the following constrains hold:

1> a player can play only one position and players that position throughout his or her career. 

2> a player may play for several teams over his or her career. a player may change uniform numbers when traded to a new team but keeps that number while with that team. 

3> each game has a home team and an away team. there are no ties. 

"This case is a weak entity case. Here player entity will be a weak entity. So it will borrow key from team"
talisunep
Posted 17:29 Oct 10, 2012 |

(should be 3.24)

A video rental store wants to maintain a database having two major components: the first component lists general information about movies, the second component  list information about which movie video the store carries, the store customers and what movies have been rented by those customer. the specifies are as follows:

1>  each movie has title, year, rating, running time, and director name. there may be several movies in the same year having the same title. A movie can be assigned to zero or more genres. Each actor has a name, birth year, and sex. An actor may appear in several movies, but will play at most one role in any movie. 

2>the store carries videos for some of these movies. for each video it carries the store keeps track of how many copies it owns. a customer can not rent a video movie ever rented by each customer. for each rental the store records the rental date and return data. Null is video is still being rented

3> customer can rate movies on a scale from 1 to 10. the ratings for each movie should be available, identified by which customer gave what rating. similarly the history of ratings for each customer should be available., (should customer be able to rate only movies that they have rented? you decide)
dcaldwell.cs
Posted 18:48 Oct 10, 2012 |

Thank you