reset password
rabbott
Posted 23:12 Sep 18, 2012 |

Hi all,

You should have received a notification from Coursera that the Scala course has started. I'd like you all to do the first exercise, which is to install Scala and run a "Hello World" example.

Please have this done by class Thursday.

There is quite a bit of installation to do. So it's best to get started as soon as possible.

I've written some notes of my experience on the course wiki page. All went well except one step, which was easy to fix—although finding out how to fix it wasn't so easy!

I'd like everyone registered in both sections to come to class this Thursday. My plan is that starting next week I will meet with you in groups of 3 once a week for 25 minutes each group. The idea is that you will watch the videos and do the assignments. We will then talk about your results when we get together.

Please start by downloading and installing the Scala IDE and other tools.

See you Thursday morning at 9:50.

-- Russ Abbott

Last edited by rabbott at 23:42 Sep 18, 2012.
Vanquish39
Posted 13:40 Sep 19, 2012 |

I have a quick question.  Let's say in the example project, we change the max and sum functions to return 5 in eclipse.  When we execute these methods in the repl, does it return 5?  

Whatever I change in eclipse, isn't reflected on what's being executed in repl.  

max(List(1,2,3)) returns 5 in eclipse

max(List(1,2,3)) returns 0 in repl.

emagsin
Posted 15:42 Sep 19, 2012 |

[Ignore this post]

Last edited by emagsin at 10:24 Sep 20, 2012.