reset password
rabbott
Posted 09:16 Jul 27, 2012 |

Demonstrations are far more informative than words on slides. In the remaining presentations, I would like you to focus on presenting example uses of technologies.  

I have been disappointed with the content of the User Experience book. I realize that I recommended it as a possible source for presentations, but I now think we would be better off if we don't use it. Of course it's not your fault that the papers have not been very useful, but the ones we've seen so far haven't provided very much in the way of guidance or advice for software development. 

When I say that I'd like you to concentrate on demonstrations, that means actual executable demonstrations of technologies and not just slides. It's fine to experiment with SlideRocket and other presentation tools--and I know that I suggested that you do so--but since we are reaching a point where we will have a number of people presenting on the same day, from now on I'd like you to use your time to show actual code running rather than on slick slides shows--however much fun they may be.

It's a good idea to prepare a script or at least an outline for yourself. Prepare in advance the points you want to make and the examples you plan. That way you don't be fumbling around unsure of what you want to do next. Plan to take about 30 - 40 minutes for each presentation.

You can run the demonstrations from your own computer, or you can load them into a system like jsFiddle or Cloud9. Either way is fine. (If you have a Mac and want to run demonstrations from you own computer be sure you have an adapter so that you can attach the Mac to the projection system.)

I'm looking forward to the remaining presentations.

-- Russ Abbott

P.S. Some people have asked me about CSNS uploads. I am not expecting you to upload anything. It is just an artifact of how CSNS works that it provides a way to upload material for each presentation.

Last edited by rabbott at 09:20 Jul 27, 2012.